The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one, I'm going to upload some pictures of my tank and inhabitants.

But here's my question?
I have pregnant Platys and am a begginer at this, now heres the thing how long are they pregnant?
how many can i expect?
And any idea on how i can tell when they are about to give birth?

They are in a breeding trap but i do feel so guilty, but i do have some small catfish and dont want to leave the Platys to their own devises!

Any help what so ever wld be fantastic Lisa

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Like with most fish, gestation period depends to a degree on temperature, but average time 4-5 weeks. No way of being sure how far along all your platies are, but the ones that LOOK like they're about to pop- probably are. Usually the "gravid spot" at the base of their abdomen will be big and black a few days before they give birth.

Platies may give birth to only a few up to over several dozen fry. Age and size of the fish has a lot to do with the size of any spawn.

Like many other livebearers, female platies can store sperm from a single spawning and use it to fertilize their own eggs for several months running.

Here's a site that may be helpful: http://live-tropical-fish.com/tropical_platy.aspx

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
kev.lisa,
i don't think that your platties are pregnant. i believe what you have is a type of platy that is sold in a lot of lfs as a "balloon platy". there are a couple different variations of this "balloon" mutation that have been introduced, including the balloon molly.
platties are generally a little bit longer than those in your photos. its hard to tell from a still photo at a bad angle, but the first photo looks like a male platy. in the second photo, the two most left platties also look male.
i'll let you google it for yourself. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kev.lisa,
i don't think that your platties are pregnant. i believe what you have is a type of platy that is sold in a lot of lfs as a "balloon platy". there are a couple different variations of this "balloon" mutation that have been introduced, including the balloon molly.
platties are generally a little bit longer than those in your photos. its hard to tell from a still photo at a bad angle, but the first photo looks like a male platy. in the second photo, the two most left platties also look male.
i'll let you google it for yourself. :)

Hi they are all female for definate, and have been told by a breeder that they are pregnant, but they wasnt sure how far along, i will check the breed, our males are swimming around the tank the she's are seperate at the moment...

Hi so i have checked i have 3 female red platys and one male.
I have 2 tuxedo male and 2 female.

Thanks Lisa

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Hi they are all female for definate, and have been told by a breeder that they are pregnant, but they wasnt sure how far along, i will check the breed, our males are swimming around the tank the she's are seperate at the moment...

Thanks Lisa
would you mind taking a few more photos? :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have added a few the best i can do atm. Erm i Have uploaded the ones in the breeding trap but there may look like there is a few but thats because the male swims around the back.

The picture of the group of them is the 2 female and 1 male tuxedo and the male of the other breed..

Hope this helps. I have added a few pictures of the tank to my profile but dont think they are much better.

They have gravid spots on the back of there stomach but i cant get a picture with or without the flash... (sorry) Well what i'm guessing is the gravid spot.

They all measure about 2 inches long..

Thanks for your help Lisa

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi was told rounded fins are females? We have notices when we put them in the breeding tanks they wont fan their tails out.. Lol, the others are pointed but they are not in there. Lisa

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
the fish natefank is talking about it DEFINITELY a male. that's about all i can say.. lol. they don't look quite so "balloon" in these photos.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The fish on the right in that fourth photo is indeed male. No gravid spot, and has the pointed male fin.

The females are indeed gravid, and they look stressed by something. They are clamping their fins. Could just be the stress of being in the breeder trap, or they may have parasites.

You can bet that any female platy you get is pregnant, unless you get it from someone who can actually guarantee it has never been exposed to a male. Pet stores keep them all mixed together, so any female livebearer from the store will be pregnant.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Male platies will have a gonopodium- the narrow anal fin they use to deliver sperm. 'Fraid I can't tell too much from the photos here, but if you google a few pics of male livebearers, the gonopodium on your males should be very easy to pick out in person. You were told correctly that females have all rounded anal fins.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fish on the right in that fourth photo is indeed male. No gravid spot, and has the pointed male fin.

The females are indeed gravid, and they look stressed by something. They are clamping their fins.

I have let the females out to get a better picture as you'll be able to see from them they are all female...

008 - is the one everyone was saying is the male...
009 female at the front male behind her
003 the 3 nearer the glass female and the one sneaking up behind them is the male.

I have let them out of the breeeding trap for now but gravid spot is noticable to me but cant get it dark enough on the pictures. o should i put the back in the trap when you all agree they are female and pregnant. Thanks again as i said this is my 1st time, but i do have some small cat fish that wld eat the fry if laid in tank...

Lisa

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Can you set up a separate spawning tank?

Just a cheap 10gal tank ($10-15) with a filter ($3 corner box or sponge would work), heater, and something for fry to hide in would be perfect. You can even use plastic boxes, or buckets, if its all that's available. They should be happier with more room to swim around than in that small breeder box.

If possible, I'd set up a spawning tank with a good portion of water from the main tank topped off with fresh water, and bring over a little established filter media for the new filter. Make sure the water is the same temp as the main tank and then move over the pregnant females.

There's all sorts of things you can do to give the fry hiding places from the larger females. Real or plastic plants work great, especially mosses. Or you can make a "spawning mop" out of yarn (super easy, google it), or just about anything with holes large enough for fry to swim in and out of but too big for the females...

Keep the females well fed and they'll be less likely to go after the fry, anyways. Numerous small feedings a day would be ideal. (Just be sure not to overfeed and pollute the water).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you set up a separate spawning tank?

Just a cheap 10gal tank ($10-15) with a filter ($3 corner box or sponge would work), heater, and something for fry to hide in would be perfect. You can even use plastic boxes, or buckets, if its all that's available. They should be happier with more room to swim around than in that small breeder box.

If possible, I'd set up a spawning tank with a good portion of water from the main tank topped off with fresh water, and bring over a little established filter media for the new filter. Make sure the water is the same temp as the main tank and then move over the pregnant females.

There's all sorts of things you can do to give the fry hiding places from the larger females. Real or plastic plants work great, especially mosses. Or you can make a "spawning mop" out of yarn (super easy, google it), or just about anything with holes large enough for fry to swim in and out of but too big for the females...

Keep the females well fed and they'll be less likely to go after the fry, anyways. Numerous small feedings a day would be ideal. (Just be sure not to overfeed and pollute the water).

Hi thanks for all that advice i have a 10gl which was my starter tank with filter etc etc... Looking at the females do you think they are pregnant?! Judging by pictures on google i wld say they are and was told at the shop they were to. I'll set up another tank but its the know when they are going to "pop" so to speak...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I take it as a given that any female platy that's been exposed to a male is pregnant. It's a pretty safe assumption, as you'll learn once you've kept them a while LOL :biggrin:

At least one or two of the fish in your photos are preggers; the ones that are obviously bulging...

They're balloons, though (not my favorite artificially bred trait), so I can't eyeball them and even come close to guessing how far along they may be. I've never kept balloon platies.

Since you've already got the tank, I'd go ahead and set it up and put the most swollen fish in it. It's best to transfer them a little sooner rather than later, anyways, as stress far along the line can cause miscarriages.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I take it as a given that any female platy that's been exposed to a male is pregnant. It's a pretty safe assumption, as you'll learn once you've kept them a while LOL
Absolutely true. All they need is one exposure to a male and they will give birth three or four times from that. So you can get females and put them in a tank with no males, and have 'miraculous' births for a few months.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Most of your females are indeed gravid (pregnant). The female in the last picture at a diagonal in the lower left hand is about 1 - 2 weeks away from birth.

Here is a picture showing two females one is about 2 weeks along (left) and the other is nearing the end of her gestation period (right). Sorry about the darkness of the picture.

Keep the females out of the breeding trap. This will make them more prone to miscarry, develop illness from the stress. A lot of times, the females will want to move around a lot to aid in the releasing of the fry.

I never seperate the fish and have plenty of fry at a given time in the tank. If you want to breed larger quantities, by all means seperate the female to a 10 gallon and wait until she gives birth. Give her a few hours at least to rest after birth before removing her back to the main tank.

Here are some tips on when they are about to give birth:

---She will slow down, initially she will hover at the top of the tank drinking in air or sit still for long periods of time. When you see her do this on the bottom of a tank in a corner, she is close.
---On a frontal or top view, you will see a box shape
---There is a small darking line (vent) that will become apparent in some a few days before birth between the two bottom fins

You want a good ratio of females to males. I currently only have one male to ten females (not including the fry). At least 2 to 1 to help with the stress males can pose on the female.

Good Luck! Be sure to keep us posted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts