The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my male bettas was badly torn up by two females. It's a long story as to how they got there, and needless to say they have been removed. Felix is just such a sweetie.

I have him in his own small tank without filtration so there is no water movement. Like I said, he is in bad shape. He is nose down, which he is prone to doing with even a minor stress. Nose down makes me sad, but we have been through this before. The severe fin damage is scary. It's not down to the body, but he is a half-moon and now looks like a crown tail…a crowntail with fin damage. I am adding stress coat and the water stays in the mid to high 70s. The tank is a 2.5gal only half full so he has easy access to gulping if needed. He has his favorite cup with a bubble in the top as well.

Any and all other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
His fins will regrow if you keep his water clean. Stress coat doesn't do much IMO. Just do water changes, add some plants to help him feel secure, and feed him well. You should fill up the tank some more and add a small filter if you're gonna keep him in there for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monster Fish, thanks for the advice. I do not plan on keeping him in this tank for long, but I had to do something for him immediately. I am going to remove anything in the big tank that may cause a problem for him and return him there. Before I removed him, two of the girls were guarding him it seemed. They both stayed close, occasionally stroking his side but gently enough to not jostle him. Since removing him, they keep returning to where he last was as if they are searching for him. I am hoping the comfort of his friends will help as well.

Getting him to eat is now my biggest concern. I did some reading this morning on how long a betta can go without eating, so I am not worried just yet. However, he is still nose down in the gravel. I placed a dot of food right in the gravel with him in the hopes that he will find it. Another reason for putting him back in the community tank is so the cory and snails will eat what he leaves behind, and I am hoping the larger tank will be easier to keep the water super clean.

I read that daily water changes can stress a betta, but this seems to be related to temperature change and impatient owners. My plan is to check the water daily and change as needed.

Felix prefer to hide in tiny spaces between rocks rather than in plants, so I am going to add a few extra smooth surfaces for him to hide around.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What have you been feeding him? You can try feeding him some frozen bloodworm and see if he eats that.

You don't have to do daily water changes but keep his water clean. You can also try staining the water with indian almond leaves or IAL extract to bring down the pH and help his fins regrow faster.

·
Registered
465 Posts
He should be fine. They heal fast. You should see a piranha tank hahaha chunks missing everywhere hahaha

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today his fins have a bit of white along the edges in a couple spots. Will new growth actually be clear, or does it appear whitish? He is still up and swimming and seems to feel much better.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
New fin growth will be a bit lighter then darken up as it grows out. What color is his fins and body? That's good to hear that he's more active now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was a combo of deep reds and purples. His fins are dark red. I think it's just new growth I am seeing…a tiny bit of clear/whitish bits at the tips in a few areas…all smooth and no fuzz or fluff to it. He was pale pink yesterday, and has regained much of his color. He is now the only fish in the tank, and is happily hiding in some plants I floated at the top. I think things are looking up. He still isn't eating, but he is steadily improving.

Thanks for all the advice and concern.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree with what you guys are saying. I currently have a black fin tetra that I found half alive because one of my crayfish had eaten its beautiful tail fin and it was exposing bone. At one point I was thinking of euthanizing it, since that is what most do to put fish out of there misery, but I was thinking wrong. I decided to nurse it back to health and now its living as it used to be, but it is quarantined and its tail is still recovering. All people need is some hope in there fish and the better things end up coming true.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ugh…I had the thought that I might have to put him out of his misery and it was unbearable. Thankfully, my pets in the tank are just as precious to me as those that have legs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have heard that adding a bit of salt to the water is helpful for fin damage in bettas. Something to consider, add a couple of teaspoons of aquarium salt to his bowl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts