The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, how u all going?
2 weeks ago i bought 4 new plants for my com. tank.
here is a pic...

the fern near the filter(2), the centre circle-leafed plant with white on it and the long-leafed green & white plant.
The circle-leafed plant with white on it and the long-leafed green & white plant have already died and the ferns are turning brown. I have moved the ferns to a dif. tank where i hope they will become healthy.
I do not have a CO2 system but have bought some new lights which target the plants and help them grow better. They are called aquaglow and powerglow. I bought these just before the new lights and they do not help. The lights are on from 7am til aprox. 9pm each day.
The water parameters are:
▼PH-6.0-6.8(always between these.)
▼Nitrate-Around 0ppm
▼Nitrite-around 0ppm and,
▼Ammonia-0-1ppm
▼Temperature-30C
The tankmates are in my signiture...
Could you please suggest to me some plants which are well suited to my tank and what could be wrong...
Thanx Fishkid.
(PS. sorry i dont know plant names.)
(PPS. please post pics and plant names where possible)
(PPSS. i do use fertiliser once a week)

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Those plants died/are dying because they are not aquatics...
How many WPG do you have on that tank?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
They will rot no matter what you do...unless you pull them out, pot in moist soil and place in a sunny window~
Hmmmm let me guess...you bought them @ P**sm** as aquatics right?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
X5 on the non aquatic plants.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You also don't have the right substrate to grow live plants. Plain gravel just won't work long term, you'll need either Eco-Complete, Fluorite or Aquasoil to grow live plants. Additionally, high light levels if you want serious growth and flexibility to grow more varieties of TRUE aquatic plants...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello
Yes the plants were sold as aquatics but i hadn't a clue. I dont have any tiger barbs so it looks like you have mistaken. The only fish are discus, clown loaches, and boesmani rainbows... i will restock fish soon as i had a few deaths at the beginning of the year..
Cheers, Fishkid

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You also don't have the right substrate to grow live plants. Plain gravel just won't work long term, you'll need either Eco-Complete, Fluorite or Aquasoil to grow live plants. Additionally, high light levels if you want serious growth and flexibility to grow more varieties of TRUE aquatic plants...

you can grow certain plants with plain gravel... Java ferns will do fine.. Same for anubias and most stem plants. The nutrients are taken in through the leaves.

But it's hard to grow plants with a Discus environment. Discus like soft water when most plants like it a little hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts