The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to this forum, been looking for help with my tank. It's a Juwel Lido 200 setup in the beginning of the year. It has around 200 liters of water. I use the standard led lights that came with the tank which are 2 led T5 bars 11w each, one is 6500k, the other 9000k.

Oase thermo 350, temp 24-25°C, no CO2, I dose Easylife Easycarbo 8ml/day and Plantedbox all-in-one fertilizer 4,5 ml/day. Every week I try to do a 40% water change.
My water is pretty hard: gh 11, kh 7, ph 8-8.5, NO3 10, PO4 0.05, Iron 0.05
Substrate is tropica soil and sand in the front, I use black seiryu stone and wood.

Problem: BBA, some other kind of green fuzy algea on plants, glas of tank is pretty dirty within 1 week.
Plants don't grow well, java fern is like completely brown after 4 weeks (I pulled out the dying old bunch and put in a smaller new batch). I also pulled out some other plants. I have rotala hra in the back and it grows pretty bad, also sessiflora. I want to pull out more of the plants and plant new ones but I first want to sort out what is happening with the tank. Since I've set it up it hasn't been a day without algea.

Here's some pictures, hope you guys can help me?
Do I get stronger lights, do I try co2 (I did try that and it gave thread algea, probably wrong dose), is my fertilizer bad, I don't know what to do anymore, I want this tank as an eyecatcher in my livingroom but when you go and take a look at it it's like, ugh what is this.

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I think you are off to a good start... You have the Tropica soil and are dosing the water fairly rich (I looked into the fertilizer you are dosing).

My first thought was you are dosing it at the high light + CO2 rate... but your tested numbers seem to be in a good range, and I don't see any huge deficiencies in the plants themselves. Yes they have algae on them... but no major deterioration.

How long are your lights on per day? I would cut them to 5 hours per day... I would also dose Flourish Excel or any of the like products are the high rate once per day. Increase your water changes, and remove all the organic material that you can. Clean out the filter in old tank water and remove as much organic material from the filter as you can.

Limit any natural light hitting the tank, consider spot treat badly affected areas with H2O2 3%, and try and remove any badly covered plant tissue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are off to a good start... You have the Tropica soil and are dosing the water fairly rich (I looked into the fertilizer you are dosing).

My first thought was you are dosing it at the high light + CO2 rate... but your tested numbers seem to be in a good range, and I don't see any huge deficiencies in the plants themselves. Yes they have algae on them... but no major deterioration.

How long are your lights on per day? I would cut them to 5 hours per day... I would also dose Flourish Excel or any of the like products are the high rate once per day. Increase your water changes, and remove all the organic material that you can. Clean out the filter in old tank water and remove as much organic material from the filter as you can.

Limit any natural light hitting the tank, consider spot treat badly affected areas with H2O2 3%, and try and remove any badly covered plant tissue.
Yeah the fertilizer has a low light not alot of plants and high light co2 and loads of plants, I took the middle ground and based my dosing of that.
Easycarbo is like flourish excel so I've been dosing that daily for a good while now.

I have the lights on for 7:30 hours
2 water changes per week?
Plants seems fine except for the rotala which looks like crap and the java fern that is turning brown.
I also have another plant that I forgot name of but I think the fish are eating that one, it's a bit big so I'll pull it out and change it when I get new plants.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.