The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently (about 1 1/2 months ago) got into the planted aquarium hobby. I still have a lot to learn, as you will realize from this post. While doing this weeks water change I noticed the Java Fern I bought from the LFS had some dangling stuff on it, it appeared to be a parasite or fungus so I figured I would try removing it to keep the plant healthy. I proceded to clean the "fungus" off the leaves and I was noticing tiny little leafs attached to the "fungus" which I then realized wasn't fungus at all, it was tiny little baby roots with leaves on it. I just hope I didn't pluck them off of the parent plant too early! Anyway I replanted 3 of the babies just to see what happens with them. The leaf attached to it is only about 1/8 in size so hopefully it stays in the substrate.. Insignificant post, but I had to share my excitement :bounce:

Sorry the plants look so bad, I just got new lights over the weekend so hopefully they will liven up!

The Parent Plant

The Children

·
Registered
89 Posts
java fern shouldent be planted under the substrate. it has to just set on top or tie it to some wood or a rock or let it set on top of you substrate. your java fern leaves are curling this is not good. it mite be because you have them planted under your gravel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Take your fern and attach it to a flat rock with some cotton thread or "super glue" with the roots on the rock.. The thread will "rot" away, the glue won't hurt anything.

"Babies" will eventually release themselves and flat around until they find something to attach to.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Congratulations! Based on your success with the babies and the nice pearling on your mother plant, you can officially say you are a proud papa of several babies. Now that this is occuring, you'll start finding them occassionally everywhere. I find them weekly stuck to the intakes of my filters and often find them in the filter when I clean it.

You didn't take it off too early, and in the future, you can either leave them on or remove them when you want. Just don't worry if the leaves sometimes gets covered in them and then starts to die off. This is natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts