The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is that an anubia on the left? If it is you should not bury the membrane or it will die, you should just tie it on a piece of wood. Besides that everything looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Nice start.

You may want to break up the giant clumps the micro sword and hairgrass came in into about 8 clumps each and plant them an inch or two apart.
If you have the hood the tank came with, you need more light than that for those plants.
The anubia(as said shouldn't be completely buried), the cabomba and the Anacharis will survive under the stock lights, but most everything else needs alot more.

It looks like you have eco complete for the planted aquaria in there as gravel- thats good, it is a nice product.

If that is a bubbler/airstone back there, get it out, the plants don't like it.
The guppies or whatever fish are in there will be fine without it.
How is that spotlight thing working for you? They look cool.

You are coming into the planted side like i did. Just listen to most of the people on here, they know what's best.

Ok, sorry for lecture, i'm done now.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to be starting a DIY CO2 system this weekend along w/ using Flourish Excel, Flourish & Flourish Trace. After viewing some awesome setups and reading your posts, I think I am going to redo my setup and will post more pics when I am done. Thanks for all the great ideas and help.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Remember to upgrade lighting, when i did diy co2 with stock lights, all i had was a cyano algae outbreak.
I don't know how long your tank is, but if it is a 15h, it is 20" and this would be a nice light for it- 20" 1x96W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight CF hood w/ Quad 6,700K -Square Pin

if it's not a high model, i think that means it's 24" and these would be nice for it- 24" 1x65W Coralife FRESHWATER Aqualight, 1x 6,700K, -Straight Pin
No, 96 watts would NOT be good for a 15 high.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oh, i thought that was the 36watt one, sorry.
Those strip lights will be fine, but your foregrounds are gonna grow a little slow.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Looks good!

As mentioned, unbury the anubis's rhizome or it will rot away:icon_neut

Also Give your HG a little "haircut" and it will send out more runners generally:icon_mrgr

Keep your first tank simple, after that go crazy!

-Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts