The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help.
I have a 135G tank. with 500watt lighting.
but my plant stem is too long ( the space between nodes is too big.)
can any one help me in this, what is the problem.
I dose a micro and macro (Poor Man Fertilizer) also i have a PH controler which open and close the bubbles of the CO2 pottel. My PH is set to be 6.9 PH.
Also my light is 8 X 36W 6800 K and 8X24w aquamidic light all are T5,
I use 2 condinser fillteration system.
and a small wave maker.
i used also a mud based and some gravel, and a small amount of flourite.
and some ADA.
i did not use a drop checker
Can you help me please

·
Registered
664 Posts
What type is your lighting? T5HO, regular fluorescent, MH? Perhaps its not penetrating to the plants well and causing them to grow like that (we call it "leggy").

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
What is "poor man fertilizer?"

Also, you really should have a drop checker. For some reason, I'm guessing that if your pH is set to 6.9, and the CO2 shuts off at that point, then you really must not have a good ppm of CO2 (unless you are starting with very alkaline water?). It's hard to say that for sure without knowing other things, but something tells me if you put a drop checker in there it would still be colored blue. 6.9 equals practically neutral, and it's ideal to stay in the slightly acidic range.

I'm guessing, since you have a wavemaker, that you started off with saltwater, right? Well in FW planted tanks, acidic water is good. Set your pH controller to around 6.0-6.4. But actually, stop guessing about it and get yourself a drop checker. ;)

Also, how are you diffusing the CO2?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello all,
thank for your replay.

i diffuse the co2 through reactor.
my ph is about 7.4 when turn the Co2 off.
is the light couse this?
or the co2?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Could be both, but as I see it you've first gotta resolve the CO2 issue which is looking like it is a problem, whether or not it's the problem at hand here.

You need to have good ferts, good lighting, and good CO2 levels. They are all inter-related, so when one of those is not correct, it doesn't matter what the others are.

How tall is your tank, by the way? If it's a tall tank, then the bulbs you are using might not be sending light deep enough to get down to the plants.

And yeah, if you're starting with only 7.4 pH, then I can almost guarantee that you need to re-adjust your controller.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Why are you shooting for 6.9. Is there a specific reason? If you are trying to keep it fairly neutral you need to be aware that when you are injecting the correct amount of Co2 you PH should drop about a full point. If your PH without Co2 is 7.4 then you should be shooting for somewhere around 6.4 with Co2. You also need to be aware that this full point drop in PH does not affect your fish at all.

8X24w aquamidic light all are T5
What kind of bulbs are in this fixture?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
what kind of stem plants?
step it up from poor man dosing and dose ei.
how old are your bulbs (they should be replaced once a year)

what is the kh of your water? if your kh is 2 and your ph is 7.4 then you are increasing your co2 from 2.6 ppm to 8.4 ppm when you increase your ph to 6.9. both very insufficient. take a look at this chart to give you an idea of ph/kh co2 relationship http://www.tropica.com/article_fullscreen.asp?type=aquaristic&id=445. you can use this to estimate co2 levels as long as you arent using any phosphate buffers. a drop checker is definately in order.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It really does depend on the kind of stem. Limnophila sessiliflora gets big spaces between nodes in higher light.

Or at least, I think it does... Mine seems to grow that way. I have a kind of milfoil that has huge space between nodes. In milfoil's case, I suspect it is because of too low light. The greatest space between nodes seems to be at the bottom. This is especially apparent in eurasian milfoil that one pulls out of the water. This one stem I found had nodes at least 6 inches apart at the bottom. Egeria najas seems to do the same, more space at lower light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank you all for your help.
my lights are very new.

this is my plant
my GH is more than 5
so, what do you think guys

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The stem plants look fairly healthy to be for being under that light. The internodal space on the Cabomba is good, don't worry about that.

You should probably fertilize more often though, the new growth on some of the other plants is looking pale and small. How often do you use your PMDD?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't put a lot of stock in those calculators, there are a lot of variables. By "indicator" are you reffering to a drop checker? If you are and the color is dark green then you are definitely not getting enough Co2. Drop checkers are what I use in my Co2 tanks and while they don't give you pinpoint accuracy they do get you very close to the optimal level. It should be a light green color.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello

Hello All,

I used the CO2 drop checker and it is good now. its yellow-green color.
I also, change my light, i am using now 2X150Watt Metal Hallide 6,500K
and T5 2X34Watt 10,000K
and T5 2X34Watt 6,500K
and T5 4X24Watt 6,500K
and my T5 Light are the best in market (aquamedic and AquaGlu)
iam still have the same problem leggy plants,
can any one help me please :(:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts