The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I have a 20 high (heavily planted) with pressurized co2, high light, eco complete, and root tabs. I was doing a water change and was messing with my ozelot sword plant which has gotten rather large. To my surprise, the whole plant uprooted and I saw 2 strands of white root and that's it. 2 little 3 inch strands of root. The strange thing is that I have had this plant for about a year and it shoots out new leaves almost daily and is overall really healthy. Why does this plant not have any roots?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Are you sure the crown didn't break from the roots? Swords do form short stems, could that have broken when you uprooted it?

I don't think aquatic plants need roots except for anchoring but swords, crypts, stauro and some other plants do develop extensive rooting and I would be surprised if while digging around where the sword was planted you cannot find a rootball. For one thing, what was holding it down!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.