The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been maturing my tank for the last month by the book, 85% plant coverage, 2x 10% water changes per week, rapid filter mature stuff ,a shoal of neons and a couple of corys to help the filter and feeding very little twice a day.

The ammonia came and went, the nitrite spike can and went, nitrates are well within parameters...all in all a text book set up.

BUT my PH seems very high, its reading 7.4.! this is the level out of the tap as well

The tank is set up as a planted discus tank with. I use Flourish and Excel, with Prime during the changes.

I'm not overly keen on adding chemicals to artificially push the ph down, will discus be happy with a ph of 7.4 as long at its steady at this level?

I have just bought 2 very small discus and they seem to be fine, much better than I saw them in the fish shop.

I would welcome some simle, robust ways to adjust it dowm.

cf

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
this is with co2?

a driftwood might help a little... and strerilized peatmoss in a nylon bag in the tank or in the filter.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A pH of 7.4 is high? When did that happen?

And if your tap water is 7.4 and you are doing regular water changes why would you expect your tank to be lower? I don't really see what the problem is here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see what you mean

Perhaps I was overreacting a little, on reflection 7.4 ph is fine. I would prefer a little lower but a peice of text on your guide struck home

"dont be a water warrior"

I think I will settle for a steady value rather than keep fighting nature.

I dont use any co2 and do have some bogwood in the tank. I hope to post some images soon as I really like th eway things have worked out. Its been over 13 years since I last kept discus, I am very please with how many strains you can now get. The big plus for me is the even wider range of plants. I have managed to get together a wide range of types from local shops and that certian online auction place.

Choice of plants here in the UK seems almost endless, I wonder if its the same across the pond.

Now we often find ourselves staring at the tank rather than waching the telly..:)

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts