The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

got a quick question. How would a water pH be rising by itself in a tank? I am assuming something is leaching something into the water? But I can't figure out what it is. I have driftwood in the tank, java moss, slate and playground sand (all obviously rinsed well and the tank has been cycling for a few weeks now). The wood is still leaching tannins, but I didn't think that mattered. (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm)

Any clues? I keep artificially decreasing my pH to around 6.4-6.8 because ultimately I want to move my tiger shrimp into this tank.

Any help is appreciated.

Simon

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Get some Muriatic Acid (Dilute HCl) from Lowe's, pool supplys, brick masons, etc and test your substrate, rocks, decorations, etc. If it bubbles, it is raising your pH.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can always do 50% water changes and prevent the pH or any other parameter from changing too much. I would bet that Left C is right, and you have either substrate or rocks that contain carbonates in them. But, even if you do, just doing big water changes weekly will limit the effect they cause. But, artificially decreasing the pH by adding something to the water will very likely cause far more harm than the pH could ever do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts