The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tested my pH in my new 20g High fishless cycling tank and it's 8.4 :eek:

I was hoping to AT LEAST keep 6 Julli Corys and 10 Cardinal Tetras. Then add a "show-piece" fish, either a dwarf gourami or a pair of rams.

Thoughts? I am now highly considering adding Eheim Torf Pellets to my filter. I'd rather not deal with hauling RO water from the store, if I can avoid it..

Thoughts?

Filter: XP1
Lights: medium (24" T5NO Coralife fixture)
Substrate: Flourite Black

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well... don't know about the cory's, but I've kept Cardinal Tetras in about the same pH here in Indiana. What I did was cut down my well water (liquid rock here) with RO at first, then gradually changed over to straight tap water.

Are you going to run CO2 in the tank? If so, that'll affect your pH.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The good news is that pH at that level is likely beneficial to your cycling process. Development of the nitrifying bacteria colony is hastened if it's well over 7.0. Conversely, if your pH were 6.0 say, that would significantly slow down your cycle, pergaps even stall it.
As for lowering the pH to an eventual more reasonable level for your stock once you're cycled, you could try a number of things, used together if you wish: e.g. driftwood will help lower the pH, as well as some peat added to your filter, along with the use of almond leaves. Although please keep in mind that many fish adapt well to a pH that 'high', as long as it remains relatively stable, as Gemini mentioned.

Try the above first, before you begin any other expensive process, or the use of any chemical to lower the pH.
Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.