The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

First my parameters:

60 gallon tank with 260 CF lamps. Lights are on 8.5 hrs a day on timer with pressurized CO2 injected for 10 hrs (2 hrs before the lights turn on). Since im waiting on a new drop checker, i'm guestimating with 6 or 7 bubbles per second (looks like a steady stream of bubbles in my bubble counter).

I have flourite black substrate, my pH is 6.8 (during lights on and 7.5 out of the tap). My nitrites and ammonia are at 0 and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. My temp is steady at 82.5 degrees F.

I dose with Flourish Excel everyday, Potassium, iron, and flourish every two days, and have root tabs underneath my crypts.

I have 6 3inch discus, 8 Cardinal Tetras, 1 Ram, 8 threadfin rainbows, 6 cories, and 3 oto's. I know my bio load is high but its hard for me to help myself. My plants are several crypts (wendtii, lutea, spiralis) in the corners, rotala rotundifolia colorata, bacopa carioliana, limnophila aromatica, alternathera reineckii, water wisteria, rotala wallichi, HC, and a red stem plant that i cannot id for the life of me.

The questions are:

1. Is my current setup ok for my stem plants (i just purchased all but the rotundifolia and bacopa recently.

2. I have no algae problems so far but i do water changes of 50% twice a week.

3. Is there any recommendations for what i can do to ensure my new stems plants have the best shot?

4. Is 83 or 84 degrees F too high for my plants?

I know this is a long post but this is my first high tech tank and i want to make it work. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would say your system is fine for stems (ive grown them in worse...lol). As far as recommendations there are 2: 1) lower you temp a little (i would say 80 as a max), 2) I would put tabs under the stems as well as I have found most of them to be big "eatters". Ill leave you to the biggins now and say goodluck and hope to see some pics soon

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I wouldn't use that much light. I'm assuming you have 4 65 watt PC bulbs, and those have good quality highly polished aluminum reflectors. If so, you really have very high light intensity, which isn't necessary for any of those plants.

It would also help if you started dosing a complete menu of fertilizers, nitrates, potassium and phosphates, in addition to what you now dose. If you follow the estimative index method, it is easy and since you need to do big water changes for the discus anyway, it isn't any more work.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If you plan lowering the tank's temp, do it 1 deg at a time (per day or 2) so your discus would adjust gradually with no stress/shock... I tried lowering mine up to 78 before and they seem to be fine with it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.