The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a pair of GBRs 4 months ago from a local breeder (flguppiesplus.com) and when i first got them, the breeder told me that they had paired off in his tank. The first 3 months they have been inseparable, they would follow each other around the tank everywhere. But now after i did a substrate change they seem to fight all the time. It has been about 2 weeks. The male will chase the female whenever he sees her, especially during feeding times. Is this just a lovers quarrel that they will get over or are they divorced? :confused: I was hoping to have them spawn... :icon_frow

If you want more info on my tank this should cover it.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/93764-solids-29-gallon.html

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they don't seem to do much real damage, yet. The tank pretty heavily planted and it has a big drift wood cave that they hide around so that its really easy to get out if sight from each other. Is there a chance they will make up?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pair breaking sucks. Try another female in the tank, see if a new pair forms or the old pair get back together. That or switch the males out; a more passive male might help things.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would you rate the source of your rams? I am in florida, and they have good prices on angels and rams.
I liked the guy, he seemed nice and helpful with advice, but i didn't see his facility so i don't know how clean and well he keeps them. What i do know is that he imports wild fish and breeds them, the fish seem pretty hardy and much better quality than the ones I've seen at the LFSs. Mine don't have as much black around the eye and dorsal fin as i like, but the coloring is good, lots of yellow and orange with iridescent blue and they do not look as though they were pumped with hormones.

I cant separate them, i simply have no place to put them. I think im going to see if they get back together for a few weeks and if not ill see if i can trade out the pair i have for another pair. well see...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know the tank dividers you are talking about and i cant use them because of my driftwood, and i also don't like the look of them either and that is mainly what my tank is for, Thank you for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had that happen before with my GBRs. They spawned together, but didn't take very good care of the eggs. They were all eaten up by some evil little Endlers and after that they divorced.

Got a second female after the fighting started, but it didn't do anything for them.
I found the first (dominant) female dead one day, that's how evil they were to each other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts