The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ! and help,please! I should have known,I now have new lights,Ehiem ECCO, UV light,florite substrate,glass top to keep cats from swimming while ''fishing'', new plants.:icon_lol: Right. The other day did some work on the tank,slopped water, towel dryed tank and injoyed how it was coming. ..... The next AM turn on lights :eek: I see water on the corner seem. The old tank now leaks. Slow leak,about 6'' from the top.Leak is a leak. I need a new tank. Now my question is what brand of tank is good? or bad? I have read also that black caulk is stronger then clear,read somewhere Perfecto has gone down,AGA is now Aqueon, told at LFS that AGA is low end Marineland ! Oceanic tanks look awsome but I would guess that they are out of my price range. Any advice would help... fast:help: I forgot 55 gal leaker, would like to upgrade to 75 gal.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The leak at the top does by me a little time, as the only LFS near by is Petco& Petsmart. I will have to go about 30-35 miles to find a decent fish and plant store. Acrylic scratches and turns yellow with age. but- it is much lighter then glass!

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's possible that you can fix it. You'd have to strip all the old silicone off the inside with a razor blade, clean the seams with rubbing alcohol, mask around the seams, apply new silicone, wait 2-7 days for curing and your done!

It's definitely worth a try because it's very cheap to attempt to fix. There are many threads about what silicone to use and etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not think its worth it, that leaky tank is 30 +or - years old.I'm afraid if I mess with the seam it might burst! The leak right now is still drop then..............drop then...............drop. It also gives me an excuse to get a 75 Gal! My husband says a recliner chair will make him happy, better way to spend money we do'nt have.[ His opinion] to watch NASCAR.!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had an AGA 55g for 6 years with no problems. The silicone was starting to come off before I sold it. The oceanic tanks I see at Petsmart are really nice but expensive.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you upgrade to a 75 gallon tank you may have to replace whatever you are using for a stand too, the Ecco may not be big enough, you will need more substrate and depending on the style of center brace the glass top may not fit. You may find a good deal on a complete used set up on Craigslist, sell whatever you don't need separately. For new tanks I think the Oceanic tanks are the nicest of the standard commercial ones, most shops here carry the Aqueons. At least if the leak is near the top you can drop the water level until you find a replacement.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stand under the 55 gal is an iron metal stand. Very strong! Even with fresh paint its not the best looking in my living room. NO storage. Gee, I would have to get a wood stand & canopy! The ECCO is the 2236 . It will have to do.Have an Emperor 400 also, needs to be replaced soon.Its been running forever and now showing its age.Still works just OK. I also have an UGF that's as old as the tank. It keeps water moving a bit. I know, I know, planted tank people do not use them. A 75 gal would need more substrate,new glass top, more plants,more fish,a little more light. I must really be nuts to even think of this,I really do like the idea of the bigger tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts