The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last one, I swear. This is in my office. I need to get a taller lamp for it and i'll try to get a better picture when the bubbles go away.

Light 9watt 6500k CFL
Substrate 1" MGO potting soil, .5" sand, .5" gravel.
Flora Cryptocoryne wendtii, Ammania gracilis, and Rotala Indica.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The lighting is pretty haphazard at the moment. What I need is a lamp that I can set directly above the bowl but I've been limiting myself to what I can find at goodwill so no luck so far.

No shrimp/fish yet. I'm considering a betta as I don't think my office ever dips below 60F.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Unless that bowl is much much bigger than how it looks, I would skip the betta and just do shrimp. The wood takes up too much swimming space for the betta, but shrimp would love the extra room to crawl around on. Other than that, looks good

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
well, the wood looks like it takes up a good 1-2 gallons. I still say shrimp, just imagine how it would look with some CRS or cherries all happy and crawling around on it. Your choice though.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
have you measured the gallons in this bowl? 2 gallons most likely. I recommend re-homing the paradise fish. It really does not belong in a system like this. too small, too cold(if its in the 60Fs), not enough filtration(lots of nice plants though!).

I'd just do orange shrimp in that bowl, or something similar.

bowl looks great :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He seems fine to me, been in there for a month or so. I have measured the volume and its 4 gallons. The fish looks a lot bigger then he really is in the picture as the bowl distorts the image. As far as filtration its a walstad so biological filtration, also gets weekly water changes. As far as temps its a 24hr call center with a pretty constant temp of 70.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
certainly looks awesome. perfect use of the awkward wood coming out of the bowl. now its looks great with emergent growth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very impressive....I wasn't sure about the wood with the first photos, but the whole bowl looks great now! I love nanos and this one is awesome! I am thinking of doing something similar now with all of the great ideas I have been looking at for the last several months on this forum.

What bulb are you using for lighting??

Melanie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks! Just using a 13watt 6500k CFL. It's been working fine although I wish I had a taller lamp so I could move the bulb further away from the bowl.
You could try something like this; I have this sitting on the mesh top of my 5.5 gallon Glass Shrimp tank, and it works nicely. You could possibly clamp it to the cubicle top and it should sit perfectly over the bowl.

...And I have that bowl at home. With nothing in it. I think it's coming to work with me tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is sweet! Do you add any ferts, or just a weekly water change? How much water do you change out with the water change?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is sweet! Do you add any ferts, or just a weekly water change? How much water do you change out with the water change?
Thanks! No ferts or any additives. I pretty much top off weekly and have been doing bi-weekly water water changes of 50% or so. The tank has also been cycled fully for a month or so. Before then I was doing weekly 50% changes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Please rehome that paradise fish. I have a trio myself and they are very active fast swimming little things that really deserve an absolute minimum of 2ft of swimming space. They have an intelligence and insatiable curiosity similar to the larger preds (and a ferocity to match) so he is likely bored out of his mind too. To those saying get a heater, its probably not worth it unless the tank is close to freezing. These fish are very hardy and do very well at room temp or even in ponds if you live somewhere it wont freeze over. I know how easy it is to make these sort of mistakes but a little research would show you how colourful a healthy paradise fish is. Here are my ladies and they are no where near as colourful or as large as a male:

I started out with them in a 29g but they needed more space and are now happily enjoying a 75g with the male and some fast swimming shoalers but as you can see they still spar over territory.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts