The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This is my new turtle Charizard (other is named Blastoise). He is a softshell turtle. Not sure on the specific type. Maybe a spiny?

Pretty sure its a male as the shell is olive/green instead of grey like a female.

Anyone else keep aquatic turtles?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Looks like a midland smooth softshell to me, very cool! You can keep the water level lower if you want to, they love to hide in the sand and breath by just sticking their neck out. Is that a turtle dock at the very top of the pic? If so, good! Most people don't know that soft-shells also need to bask every once in a while. Nice looking setup!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Its a 20 gallon long. I've got a turtle dock in there. I found him sitting on it when I walked in this morning. He has got a fun personality!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I made sure to get one of the smaller ones to watch him grow and in hopes of less aggression towards people over time. Nice turtle set up. What are the ball looking things on the bottom left?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read that the males max at 8 inches and the females can reach 16-17 inches. Average life span is 30 years. That was just from one site though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2 albino Chinese Softshells, 1 Chinese Softshell, & 1 Snapper.

At the Rescue we have over 100 unwanted RES & a few fl red belly cooters, yellow bellies, cumberlands, and maps. We just got our first boxie, second Tort in this month, but the rescue is keeping them for education.

Here is Pickles

Poor pickles was kept in terribly filthy conditions & became sick. She has been treated a number of times by our vet with no change. She eats well & manages to get around ok. Her & Onion are pals & sleep on the dock together at night cuddled up.

Mustard is well known & there are quite a few images of him floating around.
Mustard & I at one of the Mississauga Reptile Expo in 2011

No pics of Onion as he is FUGLY! Poor guy was physically beaten with the ugly stick. He had a rough life before I adopted him. Hes slowly healing, but when softies heal they get these really big & ugly scabs that are always slowly coming off & being replace by a new one. Their healing appears to be extreamly slow compared to RES.

Sorry for hijacking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.