The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a couple of pics of my new Tiger Shrimp. I just got them in yesterday. They are really cool, I bought 11 of them.

-Ryan

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool im hoping to get some soon, how hardy are they?
I have had them for a little over a day so I sure hope that they are hardy :)

They seem healthy and are definitely eating a lot which is a good sign. I sure hope they do well in my 10 gallon, I think they have a good chance... my biological filtration is very good and the water is crystal clear.

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Very cool shrimp! What temperature is your tank?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Tiger shrimp are so cool. I want some lol. Man I want everything. Aren't Tigers supposedly more sensitive than lets say CRS? or are they hardier? Of course nothing is hardier than RCS IME :-D.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...they look so cute!

Wood: The coloring on your tiger shrimp- are some black striped and others reddish/brown. (as seen your 3rd pic) They look awesome! :) A very nice addition to your tank.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The Tiger Shrimp are doing very well so far. My temp is 78F and the PH is around 6.2.

They are very active and definitely show up for feeding time. They are more aggressive at feeding time and definitely seem smarter than the RCS. For instance, when it is feeding time they will just rush the algae wafer, pushing the RCS out of the way, and grab a small piece for themselves. Then they will walk away with the piece and eat it by themselves. The RCS on the other hand will all pile on top of each other and fight for positioning.

Out of the 11 that I added, I have seen max 9 at a single time. Hopefully all are ok and the other 2 were just hiding in the dense vegetation. My tank is heavily planted so there is definitely the chance that they are hiding out. I have yet to see any Tiger bodies, but if one did die I am sure it would get eaten up real fast.

I think that it is a great idea to start with RCS but over time you will want to venture into other species. Getting a Caridina species to add to your existing RCS tank is a good idea since they will not interbreed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts