The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share some pics of my new tank. It's a 90 gal RR tank, I figured I might want to try saltwater some day. I'm looking to keep this as low cost as possible. Currently water is just cycling via 2 overflow boxes and a sump. Going to get some basic lighting, not looking to grow to many plants just some of the hardier ones.

I do have one question about heating it, currently it resides in my basement and since I live in Lovely NY the room temp for the tank is about 58. I plan on getting 2 300watt heaters. Does anyone have any experience with heating a tank in a cold room?

On to the pics, there is nothing in the tank yet probably won't be for a while.

This was the master plan:

Still working on it slowly but surely, project is on the back burner for now, the little lady wants a new kitchen floor. I leared early to finish what she wants before I mess with the tanks, then I don't get in trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heating in a cold basement

How'd did it go? I have the same question about how hard is it to maintain the heat in the tank in a cold basement? How many heaters did you go through or does that unit at least turn off as soon as everything evens out (water room air)? Did you have any condensation issues due to the heated tank in a cold room?

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
I think you'd be fine with 2-300 watt heaters but you could go less, 250w or even 200w.
I have my tanks in the basement and though it only gets really cool in the winters I have no problems with the tank cooling down. I have 2-300watters in my 100 gal open top tank and never have a problem.
If you cover the tank you would keep alot of the heat/moisture from escaping

1 - 4 of 4 Posts