The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new tank to get back into shrimp as I had a nano setup awhile back till my dog decided he was interested in it and ended up breaking it and eating all the plants and dumping all the soilmaster select on my off white carpet :angryfire .

Anyways, the tank is a glasscages.com tank called a 1/2 29g its 30" long x 12.5" wide x 6" tall. It comes out to 10 gallons even and it has a great surface area obviously. I got it from a LFS that is a carrier of glasscages.com. I figured the shrimp didn't need allot of dept and there wasn't going to be anything other than shrimp in the tank with some mosses and other plants.

I haven't started setting up yet but will be setting it up tonight with soilmaster select charcoal. I will post pictures as it progresses just thought I would share this tank as I think its a pretty cool and different tank.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It is very interesting! Will like to see how it comes out... Personally I like around 10-12 inches depth. That looks like a great tank if you want an emersed setup of HG or HC.

I have to suggest something like a fissidens carpet or something. nice and LOW and thick!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow, I really want that tank, just can't imagine where I could put it. Seems very interesting, and I saw other very flat cages in Japan holding amphibians, thought they may be cool for shrimp, and I see someone using it! I bet it will be hard to filter something like that. Probably a canister filter is your best way to go. Or if HOB fits, then use that. A very small powerhead might be in need for good waterflow.

Yah hairgrass and HC emersed would be pretty cool in that tank. How do you think you're going to light the tank?

·
Registered
160 Posts
That looks like a Glass Cages tank. These are generally used for reptile/amphibian display at shows. I use one for a tadpole system I have and another for (dry land) plant cuttings.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
517 Posts
my turtles would really enjoy a tank like that. too bad i don't have anywhere to put a tank like that :( how much did it cost?

that reminds of me the tanks one of my LFS uses for fancy guppies. except their's is 6feet long

·
Banned
418 Posts
What about lighting? Are you planning on hanging a light? I couldn't imagine having it on top of the tank without raising to the temp.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is very interesting! Will like to see how it comes out... Personally I like around 10-12 inches depth. That looks like a great tank if you want an emersed setup of HG or HC.

I have to suggest something like a fissidens carpet or something. nice and LOW and thick!

-Andrew
I usually like a deeper tank as well but I wanted something different and it is going to more focused around the shrimp than plants but I am planning on planting it just not sure how fancy I plan on getting.

As for the emersed growing I have a tank I plan on setting up for that later I have a 20 long that has the top trim that is broken so it would be prefect for such a project.

I would like to get a hold of some fissidens so I can do that but I haven't gotten around to finding any yet. I do have some weeping moss coming and I plan on doing a moss wall. I have a piece of driftwood that would look great with some fissidens covering it.

I bet it will be hard to filter something like that. Probably a canister filter is your best way to go. Or if HOB fits, then use that. A very small powerhead might be in need for good waterflow.
I am using an internal filter for now from my long time established 10g till the nano sponge filters I ordered show up.

Wow, I have never seen a tank like that. I would love to get one for little axolotl. Where did you get that?
That looks like a Glass Cages tank.
Frawg is right it is a glasscages.com tank but my LFS is a dealer of their tanks and I picked it up from them.

how much did it cost?
I paid $30 the same as I would for shipping from glasscages.com give or take a couple dollars.

What about lighting? Are you planning on hanging a light? I couldn't imagine having it on top of the tank without raising to the temp.
I bought a 24" shop light that holds 2 17w bulbs I upgraded one of the bulbs to a AGA 8000K bulb but they one had one so I have to go back and see if they have another in stock yet but I have it hanging over the tank as its on a wire rack.

I will post pictures later tonight when I get everything fixed up.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
That looks like a Glass Cages tank. These are generally used for reptile/amphibian display at shows. I use one for a tadpole system I have and another for (dry land) plant cuttings.

Scott
Sanford, Maine
Yeah it does look like what people use for tadpole systems now you say that.

Can't wait to see the tank with plants.

-Andrew

Ohh and I might be able to help you on fissidens, PM me if you need some.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here it is part of the way done... I have to move my other tank to my new place here and I will be shifting some plants around as the stems in there are just floating but this gives you a general idea as to the limited options for a scape I have I will figure something out I just have to get all my tanks here to be able to swap things around here and there...

So far what is actually planted are...

Java fern- tied on a small chunk of bog wood

Weeping moss- tied to a larger piece of bog wood and to a piece of petrified wood

Glosso

Dwarf Sag

Anubias nana "petite" and "golden"

The stems floating are cabomba, R. rotundifolia, L. repens, and some Najas the stems are most likely just going to stay in there for a little while to make sure to soak up the nutrients in the water. I may try to plant some to grow emersed, not completely sure what way I plan to go with this tank just yet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
just a random thought.. maybe you can do some kinda wabi-kusa biotope thingermajigger like steven chong did but with more plants and larger hardscapes sticking out of the water... waterfall maybe?

i like water falls. sometimes i like that marble ball spinning on top of the scenic fountains with lights under it.. ooh the mist too.. i like the mist..

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
just a random thought.. maybe you can do some kinda wabi-kusa biotope thingermajigger like steven chong did but with more plants and larger hardscapes sticking out of the water... waterfall maybe?

i like water falls. sometimes i like that marble ball spinning on top of the scenic fountains with lights under it.. ooh the mist too.. i like the mist..
I was thinking the same thing... use some mangroves maybe to keep all the nutrients in check?

Very nice looking so far! What is in the plastic bag you have floating in the right side of the tank?
My guess is shrimp, or plants:icon_conf

Coming along great! What type of rack is it on?

-Andrew

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I have been brainstorming and I haven't came to a conclusion as to what exactly I am going to do. I will be doing some emersed growth of some plants just haven't decided what, yet. I can tell you there will be no spinning marble though.

Very nice looking so far! What is in the plastic bag you have floating in the right side of the tank?
Red cherry shrimp

I was thinking the same thing... use some mangroves maybe to keep all the nutrients in check?

My guess is shrimp, or plants:icon_conf

Coming along great! What type of rack is it on?

-Andrew
I will look into the mangrove tree but I am not sure still what way I am going to go.

You are correct it was shrimp

The wire rack is from Walmart it is 54" tall 36" wide and 14" deep is rated for 250 lbs per shelf. I put a piece of 3/4" ply wood with carboard under it then covered it in black fabric. I have no bowing issues at all.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Only problem with a small flat tank like that is temperature control. You need to keep it in a really stable place or your temp fluctuations will be pretty high. Also volume of water does play a big role in how many shrimp you can keep so keep that it mind. It matters more than what the footprint of the tank is.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Awesome looking tank :) Can't wait to here your RCS stories :) I saw one of those tanks at an LFS with a bunch of baby RES:frown:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The temp shouldn't be too much of a problem now I keep the room cool and the heater is a 100w, and its 10 gallons with good circulation but I will monitor it.

I will not have a problem with over stocking the tank as I only have 9 shrimp in the tank now and the ones that I breed are wanted from a LFS ,I also have other tanks and or can add more tanks if there becomes an issue, but I don't see that happening. I am not above giving away free shrimp either as that is how I acquired these ones, from a very generous friend of mine. Thanks for pointing the temp thing though I will keep an eye on it.

Fish Newb, the racks were $30 each I believe ( I bought 2 of them )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts