The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some of my bee shrimp, and one bee shrimp, which looks to be a zebra shrimp. Also amano! Someone help me id this "bee" shrimp?

Also, anyone ever try this food before? Bought it in Japan. It's called Shrimp Breeding Promotion Food. From what I can read (which is minimal), it says it has squid meal, "okiami" meal, "reshichin", vitaminC, "Chiroshin", Banana, and minerals. It says feed once a day as well. Here's a pic.

And anyone every try this substrate? It is called "Shrimp Ichiban Sand" meaning Best shrimp sand. It claims it is also good with plants. Also bought in Japan. It's supposed to make the water clear. It is supposed to add minerals, and makes high ph lower it says. Looks just like and feels just like ADA AS, but its just a tad bit smaller. In my tank, the bottom is ADA AS, and top is this substrate. Here's a pic of the bag.

Yes, my hand is very small, and the bag as well. 800g.

And here are some more pics of my shrimp.

Sorry for big post and thank you all!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
nice shrimp,

Can't help you on the food but your mystery shrimp is probably a low grade bee shrimp..... maybe a hybrid you never know!

Let us know how the food works!

-Andrew

·
Registered
773 Posts
Are these the ones that you got at Aquatic Warehouse? When I spoke with one of the workers, they said that they mix all the shrimp in that tank. So theoretically it could be a hybrid ;)
Also, do shrimp like bananas (an ingredient in that food)? I'd drop a piece in there to see but I don't want them to all keel over and die.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigstick120: Sorry I didn't clarify that. I know that that was an amano, and a bee shrimp. Just needed to know what you called "wild" bees.

aelysa: yes these are the ones from Aquatic Warehouse, and yes they do mix their shrimp... Pretty annoying when you get a saltwater guy to get some shrimp for you. I asked for amano and he got me ghost... I do not know if shrimp like bananas. When I first dropped the food, the shrimp did not seem to like it much. But now they seem to love it.

So I guess I have wild bees then. Not zebra shrimp. Thank you! So what should I do? Will wild bees x domestic bees become wild bee babies? Or Half and half? Or a completely different pattern of bee. I guess noone can actually definitively answer that question unless they've tried.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm really tempted to feed some banana to a cherry shrimp....
And if the tigers are really as prolific as people say they are, I'll have some tigers soon enough to share with San Diego ;)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be awesome! I don't really remember tigers being known for their prolificness. Aren't they harder to keep than bee shrimp? Well I wish you luck with your tigers, because that means some for me! LOL.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
bigstick120: Sorry I didn't clarify that. I know that that was an amano, and a bee shrimp. Just needed to know what you called "wild" bees.

aelysa: yes these are the ones from Aquatic Warehouse, and yes they do mix their shrimp... Pretty annoying when you get a saltwater guy to get some shrimp for you. I asked for amano and he got me ghost... I do not know if shrimp like bananas. When I first dropped the food, the shrimp did not seem to like it much. But now they seem to love it.

So I guess I have wild bees then. Not zebra shrimp. Thank you! So what should I do? Will wild bees x domestic bees become wild bee babies? Or Half and half? Or a completely different pattern of bee. I guess noone can actually definitively answer that question unless they've tried.
The wild bee with breed with normal bees you will probably get a mix of traits and different patterns so it should be interesting!

I'm really tempted to feed some banana to a cherry shrimp....
And if the tigers are really as prolific as people say they are, I'll have some tigers soon enough to share with San Diego ;)
Tigers aren't exactly "common" yet here in the states so good luck!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks andrew! I guess I will be keeping the wild one in there, and moving offspring I do not like, in my hard, high ph water.

So does ANYONE have any experience with the substrate or food? I will post another pic of the foods soon.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More pics

More pics of food and shrimp. I like these photos a lot. Some are my walllpaper now :-D.

Shrimp food:

Those are the 3 different types of grains in the food:

Here is my Amano hogging the big piece while others eat the little ones:

And the tank they live in... used to look so much better! I like the substrate though:

The shrimp seem to like the smaller black bits the best, and the big cylinder one the least. Always leftover. The amano was late and he took the leftovers. Usually he pounces on everything, but he just finished molting and he was hiding out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You are welcome :) And thank you very much :) Wow, those new pictures are great, I love the last Amano picture!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
200 Posts
shyarimpu buriidingu puromooshyon fuudo!
It is fun reading the box ^_^
I am trying to get some Upa-Ruper food from Japan.

I love the picture of yuor Amano eating his food. great job. The food looks tasty and varied. I also like teh first shrimp you posted. He is very nice looking. Good luck with your shrimp and their food.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Also, anyone ever try this food before? Bought it in Japan. It's called Shrimp Breeding Promotion Food. From what I can read (which is minimal), it says it has squid meal, "okiami" meal, "reshichin", vitaminC, "Chiroshin", Banana, and minerals. It says feed once a day as well. Here's a pic.
Those are some interesting ingredients! I would like to try that food for my shrimp:)

Thanks for the great looking pictures!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
according to my dad "Chiroshin"=tyrosine and "Reshichin"=lecithin. Also, "Okiami meal"=Krill meal.

Tyrosine is one of the 20 amino acids, and Lecithin is also one of the 20 amino acids.

So the food contains Squid, Krill, two types of amino acids, vitamin C, Banana powder, and minerals.

Here is what it says on the back, translated:

It claims it promotes breeding and enhances colors.

It says feed once a day and take out all leftovers the next day.

Main ingredients: Krill meal, Squid meal, Fish powder, plant stuffs, naturally extracted vitamins, minerals, and other animal and plant stuffs.

Guaranteed analysis: Protein 5.5g, Fat more than 0.35g, Fiber less than 0.4g, Calcium more than 0.2g, Phophourus more than 0.2g and 2.0g of Ash. This is out of 10g

Warning: this food is for aquatic animals, keep out of reach of children. If you put too much, your water will get dirty.

Keep in dry cool place. After opening, keep in cold and dark place, and use ASAP. If you wanna keep it long, keep it in freezer.

Also, what is ash?
Hope that this helps thank you.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
according to my dad "Chiroshin"=tyrosine and "Reshichin"=lecithin. Also, "Okiami meal"=Krill meal.

Tyrosine is one of the 20 amino acids, and Lecithin is also one of the 20 amino acids.

So the food contains Squid, Krill, two types of amino acids, vitamin C, Banana powder, and minerals.

Here is what it says on the back, translated:

It claims it promotes breeding and enhances colors.

It says feed once a day and take out all leftovers the next day.

Main ingredients: Krill meal, Squid meal, Fish powder, plant stuffs, naturally extracted vitamins, minerals, and other animal and plant stuffs.

Guaranteed analysis: Protein 5.5g, Fat more than 0.35g, Fiber less than 0.4g, Calcium more than 0.2g, Phophourus more than 0.2g and 2.0g of Ash. This is out of 10g

Warning: this food is for aquatic animals, keep out of reach of children. If you put too much, your water will get dirty.

Keep in dry cool place. After opening, keep in cold and dark place, and use ASAP. If you wanna keep it long, keep it in freezer.

Also, what is ash?
Hope that this helps thank you.
Looks like a good high protine food! If you relatives get some to ship over here let me know! Would be interested in some!

Aslo, Is this "ash" like normal ash when you like burn a log down all the way to ash or the white powdery stuff?

-Andrew

Oh BTW Tank looks great! Maybe pull some stems after it sucks up all your excess nutrients and add some smaller stuff like moss!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank Andrew.

I don't think my relatives won't buy and ship this stuff here, but next time I go to Japan (this summer hopefully), I'll go to the LFS I love, go get a list of stuff and what's in it, and bring photos back. Then I'll list prices and bring lots home! :-D.

I don't know what ash is really, but in other foods, it also says it contains ash.

My tank will become Iwagumi once I get my shrimp all acclimated and moved to another 10 gal that I hope to setup someday. Next week maybe? I have the rocks, they are sitting in my 10 gal for BGA treatment. My 10 gallon is sooo stable/balanced/aged that all algae put in there dies, except clado...

Yes I will take out the stems once shrimp are out of there. they are just sponges for "insurance"

·
Banned
418 Posts
What type of substrate is that. I don't like the ADA stuff in my current CRS tank. Stirs up too much dust so I was thinking on using something else in the next tank.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess you haven't read my first post... Just read it and ask me again for any questions. I have dwarf cories and they do not stir up with substrate, but I think it is still a very light substrate because my shrimp actually pick it up with one pincer while picking at food. Kind of funny. I also so another shrimp "digging" a bigger hole in this little "cave" I have. Pretty cool behavior.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts