The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I took the plunge and shut down my reef. sorry for the dirty glass!! I removed the overflow which was more difficult than I expected. I had to use a grinder. I was going to use the overflow but realized the overflow has drains in the bottom and middle as well as the top... not good for baby shrimp. so I removed the overflow but I am keeping the return and supple pipes for the sump... which is going to house different shrimp.

here is the duplex.. 90 gallon with a 55 gallon

here is the return

and the duplex

·
Banned
943 Posts
Looks good however if I were before you do anything else ........ if you can, find a way to use the vertical spaces on those tanks. Shrimp need ground space more then anything. The rest will be wasted.

Ive thought of siliconing glass shelfs in a tiered sorta position. Let me try some ACSII art here lol.......

From front of tank:

-----
----------

solid lines are top and bottom of tank and broken lines are the glass shelfs. Now front the side:

______

---
-----

______

Basically put the soil on top of those glass decks as well. OR use a bunch of wood and moss that reaches up high or stetches the length. That would also provide grazing areas. This is just a thought though. But that space really will be wasted on those tall tanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I keep in upwards of 60-70 (probably more) shrimp in my 20L breeder tanks. I think he'll have more than enough floor space in those tanks without adding shelves. If it's planted, then they'll have even more surface area to run around on anyway.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't think GDP was suggesting that johnny313 wasn't going to have enough room, just that shrimp don't tend to spend much time off of a surface of one sort or another. Tall plants could work, as could a taller hardscape. I've considered the shelf idea before myself.

The only downside I could see to it would be getting light into the shelves and keeping decent waterflow through them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
wood rafts/branches with suckers on the ends(the type java fern is put on sometimes) may solve the shelving problem and they can be moved easily if need be.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya my roomie just picked up a 20gal tall today and asked if i wanted it for shrimp and I said no. 24" tall by only 24" long and 12" wide, the 24" tall is a waste for a shrimp tank. Also makes it really hard to be able to get into and scoop out babies and rearrange moss, removed a dead shrimp, or anything else. I want to replace my 20 long with a 40long. only like 16" high.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Ya my roomie just picked up a 20gal tall today and asked if i wanted it for shrimp and I said no. 24" tall by only 24" long and 12" wide, the 24" tall is a waste for a shrimp tank. Also makes it really hard to be able to get into and scoop out babies and rearrange moss, removed a dead shrimp, or anything else. I want to replace my 20 long with a 40long. only like 16" high.
that would be a 29 gallon tank, a 20 high is 16 inches tall, not too shabby in my opinion, i use a 29 gallon tank and the shrimp climb the glass and hang out anyways, or climb the filter hardware. It's not like you lose anything with a tall footprint, you could even argue that the extra volume of the tank could help keep parameters from shifting due to evaporation or low volume.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
that would be a 29 gallon tank, a 20 high is 16 inches tall, not too shabby in my opinion, i use a 29 gallon tank and the shrimp climb the glass and hang out anyways, or climb the filter hardware. It's not like you lose anything with a tall footprint, you could even argue that the extra volume of the tank could help keep parameters from shifting due to evaporation or low volume.
I just picked up two 20H tanks rather than going with 20longs. I know that people prefer the larger footprint of the 20 long but I didn't want to lose the floor space and I like the taller tank to give me a few more plant and scaping options (even if atleast one of the tanks will be a dedicated shrimp breeding tank). 24x12 is still a decent footprint and the extra water volume is what I was after anyways for stability and less frequent water changes.

I guess that time will tell how they work out. The lights and stands are cheaper though.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yeah, but imagine the 90 gallon with a sump, that's some friggin stability right there. It would take a while to dial it in just right, but once it's there, it'll take months of evaporation or constant pooping just to shift the parameters a little. The downside is, it'll look empty with less than 200-300 shrimp in it

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
What does a sump do anyway?
Allows you to install equipment outside of the actual tank, allows you to add water volume, allows the options of things like refugiums, trickle filters, deep sand beds (marine), etc.

Especially in reef set-ups some people like to do what he is doing here - buy a cheap 55 gallon and use it for a sump set-up because it allows you to add a ton of water volume cheaply without increasing the size of the display tank. With a 90 gallon tank and a custom stand he could have the 55 gallon tank completely hidden underneath the 90G display tank.

Since you aren't going to be stocking the sump (generally) it allows you maintain water quality while more densely stocking the display tank than you normally would be able to do.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, but imagine the 90 gallon with a sump, that's some friggin stability right there. It would take a while to dial it in just right, but once it's there, it'll take months of evaporation or constant pooping just to shift the parameters a little. The downside is, it'll look empty with less than 200-300 shrimp in it
Im thinking 500 shrimp lol

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Im thinking 500 shrimp lol
Which species are you looking at getting?

With that much room you could probably have neo cardininas (Cherries) and still get Crystal Red Shrimp or OEBT to breed well at the same time.

You could breed a heck of a lot of OEBT or Crystal Red/Black shrimp in a set-up like that once you get the water parameters like pH and hardness figured out.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which species are you looking at getting?

With that much room you could probably have neo cardininas (Cherries) and still get Crystal Red Shrimp or OEBT to breed well at the same time.

You could breed a heck of a lot of OEBT or Crystal Red/Black shrimp in a set-up like that once you get the water parameters like pH and hardness figured out.
im thinking OEBT's if i can get a good strain of them. in the sump maybe crystal blacks

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
29g is 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4

24x12x24 would be a 30g x-high according too: http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

Either way I agree that I would have taken the tank, you could make some big moss walls! lol Or try and find a cool bonsai style driftwood. Alot of cool things you could do in a low tech tall tank if you wanted, my shrimp graze everywhere as long as there is something worth grazing on

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.