The Planted Tank Forum banner

my new set-up with ADA soil New Amazonia soil tested with 0 ammonia on day2?

1961 6
I just set up my Fluval edge 12g tank with New ADA soil Amazonia (powder type), layered about 1.5 to 2 inches, and was topped off with about 1.5" of pool filter sand. I filled the tank with 3g of RO water(bc I initially thought I had to do 100% water change for the next 4 days with ADA soil), placed few frogbits on top of the water, and placed a bit of cycle bacteria. I tested the water before I went to bed, which read between 0.25ppm ammonia.
This morning, I tested water again, and it read 0ppm ammonia, and 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Do you think my reading is off?

I am at work now, but I am going to go home and re-test the water parameters... but is this normal that ammonia is gone so quicky? or is my test kit just playing with my mind?!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, so I tested water for ammonia/nitrate and its still bright yellow for both of them(i am using API freshwater test kit). am I missing something?!??
is it possible that ADA soil is not leeching ammonia because I top the soil with pool filter sand?

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think my API freshwater test kit is inaccurate- I have african clawed frog tank that has been cycled- tons of ammonia/nitrate everyweek, also done by my test kit.
Perhaps they did improve their formula with new Amazonia soil- they feel a bit harder than say, my fluval stratum Ebi soil(set up in 4.5g tank).
I do have the top soil, pool filter sand, on amazonia, and it is possible they capped most of ammonia leeching.
My fluval tank is just set up, and has not cycled- though I have seeded it with bacteria two days ago, from old tank, as well as live plants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.