The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... Thought I would share with you how my tank is going... it has been up and running for about a month now. Things are starting to settle in nicely.

Tank: 30g Oceanic cube
Light:Current USA Outer Orbit 2X 65W Combo daylight 6000\10000 K on 8 hours, 1X 150w 10000K Metal halide on 4 hours.
CO2:pressurized CO2 In line reactor Milwaukee controller.
Filtration: Eheim 2227, H.O.T. Magnum
Substrate: 100% Fluorite
Dosing: Phertz brand recommended schedule

Plants:
Eleocharis Montevidensis
Hrgrophila Difformis
Myrophyllum sp.
Ludwigia Repens
Nesaea sp.
Dwarf Hair grass
Baby Tears
Flame moss
Fissidens fontanus
... Probably others that I cant think of...

Livestock:
5 Cardinal Tetras
2 Otto's
2 Molly's
4 Cherry Red Shrimp (probably some baby shrimp)
2 Amano Shrimp
4 Bumblebee Shrimp
10 Dwarf rasbora
Pics

Week 1

Week 2 new plants and light

Week 3 new daylight bulbs

Algae outbreak!!!!

Nice and clear 2 weeks later too today... looking pretty good.

So what do you all think? I am still trying to learn my creative side and get a good layout any tips, plant types, grooming recommendations, replanting. So anything you would like to share with me on making my tank look better would be appreciated. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Looks great!

I too am interested how you stopped the algae. I am fighting the same algae in my tank(which I think is to me overdosing phosphate for the past month) and its a PITA to clean out every week.

For your tank I'd go for some root looking driftwood that goes from the surface to the bottom to make a submerged swamp kind of look. I think it would look good considering the height of the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I have been thinking the same thing about needing some tall driftwood, just need to find some. The algae pretty much cleared itself up, just let it be for a bit and it slowly went away. I had Green dust pretty bad and diatom bad. Diatom went away in about a week on its own and the green dust took about 2 weeks of not touching it and it started to die of. I also had green water pretty bad, put in some carbon and it was gone in a day. I think i just got my dosing down and co2 dialed in and the tank just balanced out thus algae went away. Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It looks pretty good! I agree with Postal Punguin, add some more driftwood.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While doing a water change I kinda uprooted the penny wort... so I took it all out... and replanted a smaller bit to the left.... it was pretty much taking over the tank prior to this.... giant. anyways here is a pic. I think its a bit more balanced.... I trimmed up all other plants as well. I have never removed so much plant material every week in any other tank.... pretty awesome growth every week. I am trying to trim down the baby tears every week... pretty thick carpet growing on the right side of the tank.... kinda want to replace it all with HC... and I am going to try and find a nice rooty driftwood to get in there today..... more pics to come.....anyways Thanks for looking.

Sorry for the phone pics, My iPhone just makes it so easy to post pics I am able to post more often...

Chirs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was bored so I took a few pics to share with you all... enjoy!!

Discovered some baby guppies.... here is one of them

One of my many CRS....

Another view of the tank

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Do you get sunburned when you sit in front of your tank looking at it for too long? ;)

Great job so far! It's incredible that you are keeping the algae down. The plants look great. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys I am really trying and things seem to be going well. Yes my light is extremely bright, I love it. Thank you all for looking.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I have noticed some of the leaves on my penny wort are kinda looking normal color in some spots and almost white in others..... I know its a deficiency of some sort what do you think.... Iron? You can kinda see in the photo above... on the left.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update....found some youngster shrimp... pretty cool:thumbsup:

Another full tank shot... the baby tear carpet is really getting thick...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I might be wrong, but I have heard that plants with a iron deficiency get brown or black spots. Or is that just Java Fern?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quite evidently you have a very healthy environment in there. If you are not sure what it is, you might want to take a reading of all water parameters just to keep it as a handy reference for future.

Nice work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Babytear madness!!!

I think the baby tear carpet needs a major trim... I swear every morning I wake up its thicker....have a look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a jungle!!

As you can see I needed a trim in my last update..... now take a look.... will do a nice trim and post an after pic.... I wish I had someone to give the clippings to. As you may be able to see I have a bit of an BBA problem as well as a bit of BGA, I will kill it. Thanks for looking!!!!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Looks really nice, I love those Oceanic cubes. I used to have an HM carpet but in a much smaller tank and although I love the way it looks, I hated keeping it trimmed because it made such a mess. Are you still planning to add driftwood?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll bet this looks amazing in person! The HM looks good. I am going to get some some day.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Trim up

Hi so I finally got to trimming my tank.... probably took out a few pounds of clippings :icon_smil looks kinda short but it will grow in no time. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am glad you enjoy my tank, I am still learning and any tips would help. Talk to you all soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts