The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my new project, an 11.4g mr. aqua, iwagumi with the DSM. I'll try to update this thread weekly with a new pic to monitor the progress. The waterline is just below the substrate, cant really tell in this picture though. Also, the substrate does slope from low to high, but you can't really tell from this angle.

The first week my photoperiod was 8hrs, but i ramped it up to 12hrs at the beginning of week 2. Hopefully this will help with the growth. I'm misting with tap water every morning before I leave for work.

tank: mr. aqua 11.4g
substrate: yubao shrimp & plant
lighting: aquaticlife t5ho, 2x 18w 10k (with two layers of window screen on splash guard)
hardscape: seiryu stone (7)
flora: hc

day 1

day 7

day 14

day 34, filled it

day 41, one week after filling the tank

day 48, two weeks after filling the tank

day 60-something

day 80ish???

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks genius!

Yubao is the brand of substrate. It is the "plant and shrimp" version. I'll post a picture of the bag when I get home tonight, most of the text on it is in Japanese. It is suppose to keep the water nice'n'soft, with very little ammonia leechage (is that even a word, haha).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are some more updates...

my friend hooked me up with this red sea co2 system, and paintball co2 canister for free!

well, i got tired of doing the dry start for only a month, lol. i filled it up on thursday night and i must say, the hc seems to be responding quite nicely! im definitely seeing noticeable results in its growth/spread.

i have my co2 at about 3bps, and im doing 20% water changes every other day. the filter is my aquaclear 20 that i took from my cube, so there is some nice and established bacteria making its way throughout the water column.

the pix dont do it justice, the light kind of washes everything out and blah blah blah.

one week after filling the tank, i've seen some nice spread from my hc. im currently dosing with Pfertz "n" and "m" 3 days a week right now. once my kens group-buy (from my local club) arrives, i'll be dosing the "p" and the "k" as well. my photoperiod is 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, lol.

the hc has been doing pretty good in my opinion. it continues to spread, and im doing some trimming on some of the taller nodes that pop up here and there.

im now dosing npk +m on mon/weds/fri and am doing 2gal water changes on saturdays. the co2 drop checker is always at a nice lime green. ill throw a new pic on here soon.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hey it's looking good... you are really patient! I haven't tried an iwagumi layout - does it normally take this long?

Also, does flourite lower the PH at all? If not I imagine the PH is like 8.5 with those rocks in there. I wonder if that could be the reason it's taken so long to grow (there's a reason people are using amazonia and that's to lower the PH)?

edit - n/m, I forgot that the co2 will lower it during the day (but at night it's going to raise a lot I imagine)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks fusion and ghoti! it feels good to receive complements on the rock work. the stones i had to work with werent the largest of pieces, so i had to make do with what i had. im not too sure how the stones are affecting the pH. i dont measure it to be honest, all i know is my drop checker is lime green, haha. :D

regarding the substrate, once again, im not sure if it is inert or nutritive. there wasn't a whole lot of info out on it when i bought it, a quick "google" of Yubao didnt turn up much.

as far as fauna goes, i was liking the purple rasboras, or the neon green rasboras, but i think the purple rasboras would provide better contrast. i've had chili rasboras in the past, and they might be cool as well. im definitely open to suggestions! i do have a couple amano shrimp in there now, keeping it nice'n'tidy in the interim.

here are a couple pix of my substrate bag, anyone care to translate?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Rasboras were the fish that first came to mind when I saw your tank! I think the purple rasboras or harlequins would really provide a beautiful contrast.

That substrate looks a lot like ADA substrate, which is nutritive. Have you tested your water? I think ADA substrate can release ammonia in the early phases. You might want to check before adding any fish.

How much dd a bag cost? I wonder if you just found generic Aquasoil? I think I'll go to the fish stores in Seattle's international district and check it out! They always have strange/illegal stuff down there!

I can't wait for more updates! Subscribed!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im glad to hear that you are on board with the rasboras also! i have tested the water over the past couple of weeks, and the ammonia is still hovering around the .25 mark, ugh. it is so close to the 0, it almost seems like it is in between 0 and .25!

the substrate does appear similar to the ADA, however the individual pieces have almost a glossy appearance to them, where as the ADA is a matte/flat finish. i really wish there was more info out there on it. that bag there in my picture was $26, and i used another half bag from a friend of mine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks man, pearling is so cool!

here is a little update with pix:

here are a couple of pix. i can never get a good shot with my iPhone 4 without having to go into photoshop and having to desaturate it, blah!

hc filling in nicely, top back left corner now has hairgrass that extends towards the right along the back wall.

almost full tank shot, at an angle...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just read through here...looks great man! Doing to use your tank for a bit of a reference once my tanks actually gets here. I think I'm going to attempt doing a small "tree" in my tank. Well see how that goes lol...

A question about your water change. I know your doing 20% a week I believe. What source of water are you using? RO, tap with prime, etc.?

Thanks! I'm following along for this!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.