The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Nice choice in eel he will only get to 6" or so, one of my favorites.
They love sandy loose substrate to bury themselves in with only the nose sticking out.
I have had tire track, fire and peacock eels at one stage or another, to prevent escapes plug all holes with sponge.
If you like eels have a look out for a tulip eel (hard to find but well worth it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
sick eel. i used to have 3 of these and they were awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. I have had one of those in the past. It got out of tank in a matter of weeks :(
:( How covered was your tank? He has tried to get out already, but my top is ~90% covered. Just hoping he doesn't find the other 10%!
Nice choice in eel he will only get to 6" or so, one of my favorites.
They love sandy loose substrate to bury themselves in with only the nose sticking out.
I have had tire track, fire and peacock eels at one stage or another, to prevent escapes plug all holes with sponge.
If you like eels have a look out for a tulip eel (hard to find but well worth it).
Everything I've read about them says 14" for maximum size, with an average max of 12". :icon_ques

I do have sand, but he has a million places he can choose to lay in without digging.

I plan on getting a full-cover glass top at some point, but until then, I hope he doesn't escape. :(
sick eel. i used to have 3 of these and they were awesome.
He looks to be quite awesome. I just wonder what my wife's reaction will be, she has told me that eels are prohibited! :D

She did kill all my fiddler crabs, though, which she also didn't like, so I think we're even. :)
I had one of these, definitely not a good planted tank fish but a cool fish none the less.
Because of the digging? I think that with enough places to hide (the driftwood makes lots of caves) he may not dig as much. Maybe. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
mine didnt seem to dig much, they just hid in caves most of the time.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top