The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Friday I received 6 laetacara dorsigera and 3 bolivian rams from WetSpotTropical fish store. They were packaged perfectly and are in excellent condition. These little fish spent only about 20 minutes hiding then began exploring and meeting their new tankmates. By Sunday, they were challenging the adult festivum for food at the top of the tank. They are only about 1.5" right now but have a great little demeanor so far. Shaping up to be a great fish. The l. dorsigera have a great coloring to them already and seem to be very interactive with the corydoras and bolivians.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Laetacara are wonderful little fish. The first cichlid I ever bred was L. curviceps, which spawned on top of a flower pot in a 5.5 gallon quarantine tank the day after I brought them home. They're usually very peaceful, but can be tough enough to raise a family in a community tank. Lately I've been messing around with Laetacara araguaiae, another awesome species. Pictured is my dominant male. Good luck with yours!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Limpet, its funny you bring this up, I was back and forth between the L. Dorsigera and the Laetacara araguaiae. Your male is beautiful! I just love south American cichlids. This is my 6th species and are shaping up to be my favorite after only 3 days. They seem very intelligent and personable from what I can tell so far. They aren't afraid at all of my big adult festivum cichlids with whom they now share a tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, those are great looking! I just started getting into Laetacara (picked up 4 Curviceps a week or two ago) and I already am really happy with them...they seem like exactly the kind of SA cichlid I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like they are getting close to maturity also, if they haven't hit it already! Congrats on having such nice fish. Have they spawned yet?
Thanks Grah, they are starting to dance and shimmy a little at each other, especially after a water change and early in the morning when the light comes on first. I only see two out of the six that are beginning to do this, but they are definitely close to maturity. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, those are great looking! I just started getting into Laetacara (picked up 4 Curviceps a week or two ago) and I already am really happy with them...they seem like exactly the kind of SA cichlid I was looking for.
Thanks Rogz41, yea im really happy, I have always been a fan of SA cichlids, these are a good personable fish. The show intelligence beyond other dwarf SA cichlids Ive kept.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Iamtechno, yes a couple are beginning to get their red breast, you know the common name for laetacara dorsigera is "red breasted acara" right?? I think once they reach adult they get this red and when spawning its very prominent. I only have two that I think are beginning to dance and shimmy those are the only two where I can see the red. It is really beautiful..post some pictures of your fish

·
Registered
758 Posts
My Laetacara - curviceps & araguaiae - I've never kept dorsigera - always spawned for me after a large feeding of worms; black, white or grindal. Tubifex kill!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't, I only have blurry pictures of them so far. Been slowly accumulating pictures of my fish. I have some curvisceps as well. As for how old they are, no clue. They seem to have their full color though. I'm going to try and get some pictures of more of my fish either tomorrow or Saturday after work, I'll try and get some good ones of them. I'm trying to get good pictures of all of my Apisto's as well which is proving rather difficult.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Kinda blurry but you can see the red in the fins and also under the chin/mouth. For some reason I can't get a decent picture of these guys showing the red. This is the only one that would come out for the camera. I've got another that is a much deeper brighter red but he is shy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.