The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riccia is my new favorite moss. I got some at the Aquatic Warehouse in SD 2 weeks ago and I love it. Has such a good look and the pearling is cool to watch. Can't wait to grow more and buy some more. I have a really cool idea to do in my tank!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be careful and make sure it doesn't get too long and the bottom parts die. Also when you trim it make sure you get every little bit or it will be everywhere. It's hard to get rid of.
When you say "when you trim it make sure you get every little bit or it will be everywhere" what do you mean?

I have it affixed to the top of the rocks so my plan is to remove the rocks from the tank, trim outside, rinse, and place back in.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
But it is pretty.... gotta love how people call it a weed. That being said, if any south african reader with some, sees this, please contact me, I'd love some.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad you like it. To me its a lovely weed. Pops back up even when there is no visible pieces. Its not really a big deal as it is easily pulled out which i highly recommend versus trimming.
How funny, I had a hankering that it was going to be like that. My subwassertang and flame moss are the same exact way.

Luckily I had the bright idea this time to affix the Riccardia to rocks that can be easily removed from the tank for trimming.

Mot - do you have any tips on when it comes time to trim? in just 2 weeks it's almost doubled in size under super high light and co2.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Riccia is considered a liverwort.
thats what i was thinking of thanks darkblade

I love Riccia too, I got a little a lawn of it going, it looks really nice when its pearling. It grows very fast so gotta keep it trimmed low, but if you forget it will just float up and you will need to retie it, no big deal it grows faster floating too.

I keep it floating till its about a small dinner plate then give all away but a piece the size of a quarter. Make sure you flip it too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what i was thinking of thanks darkblade

I love Riccia too, I got a little a lawn of it going, it looks really nice when its pearling. It grows very fast so gotta keep it trimmed low, but if you forget it will just float up and you will need to retie it, no big deal it grows faster floating too.

I keep it floating till its about a small dinner plate then give all away but a piece the size of a quarter. Make sure you flip it too.
Thanks for the tips Latchdan. That's why I love this forum. My next scape is going to have a lot of it so the floaters will be a huge help.

·
Registered
691 Posts
How funny, I had a hankering that it was going to be like that. My subwassertang and flame moss are the same exact way.

Luckily I had the bright idea this time to affix the Riccardia to rocks that can be easily removed from the tank for trimming.

Mot - do you have any tips on when it comes time to trim? in just 2 weeks it's almost doubled in size under super high light and co2.
Sure dont use scissors and pull it out with either your fingers or pinsettes. It grows in a V shape so i try to grab it where it comes together. Go slow and carefully get it all or you will have it everywhere. Its a real pita if it gets in your riccardia.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah I got a good portion of Riccia from latchdan I believe.

I put some of it in a medium light, no co2, no excel tank and +95% of it vanished within a weeks time. No idea what happened to it really. Never saw fish eat it and it didn't look to be melting. It just seemed to disappear. But after I thought just about all of it had disappeared, it started to grow rapidly from what little amount was left. I assume it was just a drastic transition, I think latchdan had in in a high tech co2 injected tank, so it melted for me and maybe the fish ate the melting portions of it, so that would explain how it appeared to disappear? No idea really, but it's growing really well now that it has adjusted and the fish still don't seem to eat it.

What's the best method of tying it down (a nice sized patch to substrate or hardscape)? I just have mine floating as a fluffy green cloud :)

It's growing well in a rather low tech tank, I can imagine why other's would call it a weed for high tech tanks. I don't mind it though as it looks nice!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yeah I got a good portion of Riccia from latchdan I believe.

I put some of it in a medium light, no co2, no excel tank and +95% of it vanished within a weeks time. No idea what happened to it really. Never saw fish eat it and it didn't look to be melting. It just seemed to disappear. But after I thought just about all of it had disappeared, it started to grow rapidly from what little amount was left. I assume it was just a drastic transition, I think latchdan had in in a high tech co2 injected tank, so it melted for me and maybe the fish ate the melting portions of it, so that would explain how it appeared to disappear? No idea really, but it's growing really well now that it has adjusted and the fish still don't seem to eat it.

What's the best method of tying it down (a nice sized patch to substrate or hardscape)? I just have mine floating as a fluffy green cloud :)

It's growing well in a rather low tech tank, I can imagine why other's would call it a weed for high tech tanks. I don't mind it though as it looks nice!
Yes, waterlife I believe I did give you a bit. Mine is mostly floating in high light co2 injection. I tie mine to a piece of slate with a shower puff. You cut a piece and wrap it up and I use a zip tie on the back side. I'll show a pic of the puff and what mine looks like.

Bump: pic added

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some bad news today.... I had to remove all of this from my tank last night... Tons of it came undone from the stones that I tied them to and it clogged up the intakes of my filters, got into every plant, and made a mess of the surface. Spent 2 hours taking it all out.

I'm sad to say I spent 50$ on all of it, but at least I learned my lesson.

My next try is going to be with mini pelia I think and I'll shower cap it to the stones.. Any other recommendations? I do not want to have messes like this in my tank.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It came undone because you didnt trim it? I remove mine and trim in a bucket of water then put back into the tank. Mine only comes undone if im lazy and miss a week of trimming.

Bump: I keep a large portion floating too which it stays together and never clogs my hob or canister intake

Bump:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It came undone because you didnt trim it? I remove mine and trim in a bucket of water then put back into the tank. Mine only comes undone if im lazy and miss a week of trimming.

Bump: I keep a large portion floating too which it stays together and never clogs my hob or canister intake
That must have been it then... I hadn't trimmed it at all. I didn't know it needed to be a weekly thing.

Does mini pelia behave like that as well?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
So I'm reviving this old thread for those that tried riccia and didn't like it. I've found a better alternative. Its dwarf riccia. I've received some a couple months ago and its way better then the normal stuff. All the upsides and no downs.
First,
It grows about 10X slower then traditional riccia.

2nd
I think it pearls faster and more often.

I've had it for several months and have only trimmed once.

Usually a 2X2" floating riccia would double in size in a week when I had it floating, submerged would need to be trimmed bi weekly or it would get unruly.
This dwarf variety I've trimmed once submerged in about 2 months. and never trimmed/tossed floating since I got it. My floating pieces are only 2x2" (have about 5 2x2 pieces originally 1x1) when purchased 3.5 months ago.

When temps start to go down I'm going to be selling some so If anyone is interested might be able to get some out September or October.
Picture 1 regular, pic 2 dwarf, pic 3 both.

Here is a couple pics of dwarf vs regular and a close up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.