The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running my CO2 24/7, trying to measure it using the chart and I've been affraid to take the CO2 higher since I was already reading 40-50ppm. I've been collecting alot of algae as well. Not unmanagable, but enough. So I figured I'd try a solenoid, and kick the co2 a bit higher during the photo period and give it a break during lights out.

I got an ASCO Red-Hat solenoid, an additional Alkon JN1 needle valve (2 total), a 4 port manifold (for room to grow), a handful of fittings, reducers and plugs, and a 1 amp fuse setup from radio shack for added piece of mind. All for $100 plus tax. I'm sure some of this is overkill, but I like cool things.

I thought I'd post a pic of my addition, since I'm proud of myself that it works without leaks or fireworks. :eek:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$100 for that? OUCH!
Ya, it's a little stiff on the price, but looking through the receipt it's not all that bad. The solenoid was $10 more than what I was planning on paying, and those valves are $17 a piece, but I really like those valves. Plus everything is 1/4".

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Those Red Hats are good solenoid valves, but they do run a little warmer than some of the ones used for our CO2 stuff. I'm not sayingthere's anything bad about them, just letting you know.

Tommy

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Nice job and looks good too. Post how to and where to get the parts for those that want to try it.

Comment about your sig, having spent 20 years in the military, it is possible to polish a turd with enough manpower and money......DC

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those Red Hats are good solenoid valves, but they do run a little warmer than some of the ones used for our CO2 stuff. I'm not sayingthere's anything bad about them, just letting you know.

Tommy
Thanks Tommy, it does run a little warm, but not warm enough to worry me. My preamps for recording music get hotter than the solenoid, so it's below my level of worry. I heard they are a good choice for continuos use applications, like leaving them powered and open for 10-14 hours at a time. Maybe it was just a sales pitch.

Nice job and looks good too. Post how to and where to get the parts for those that want to try it.
Thanks DiabloCanine, as far as howto, the hardest part was remembering to wrap the teflon tape in the correct direction. lol... I did add a fused link in the wireup, but this solenoid doesn't draw any more wattage then smaller clippard, like Rex uses, so I suppose the fuse was overkill as well. The solenoid also needed a plug wired to it, and if anyone doesn't already know, make sure the wire guage is the same between the wires from the solenoid and whatever plug your going to use. I'm not an electrician, so I did a little crash course in electricity before I wired up any industrial controls into my household electricity.

I purchased everything from Matzka Incorporated Home Page. Anyone in the Detroit Michigan area looking to put a system together, I would recommend trying them out. Very helpful people.

I didn't really think of this post in terms of a howto for anyone else trying it, but everything was purchased around the jn1 needle valves. I really like the big knurly nobs on them, so I just purchased everything basically 1/4" so I wouldn't have any extra reducers. Totally overkill, but I like it.

Comment about your sig, having spent 20 years in the military, it is possible to polish a turd with enough manpower and money......DC
Thats hilarious! I guess I'll have to change my sig... Maybe - "Theres an ass for every seat"?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Off Topic... Do you work recording music?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done a couple of "jobs", but it's more of a long time hobby right now. If I'm ever forced to change careers, I may get into it more. But no, I'm just an amatuer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cool. I work as recording technician. I love the work but now I have no love for recording my stuff as a hobby. I've gotten spoiled by recording good musicians and now when I record myself, I just suffer from perfectionism. I am never happy with what comes out. So sad. I second DC. Part of my job is polishing turds in ProTools.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. I work as recording technician. I love the work but now I have no love for recording my stuff as a hobby. I've gotten spoiled by recording good musicians and now when I record myself, I just suffer from perfectionism. I am never happy with what comes out. So sad. I second DC. Part of my job is polishing turds in ProTools.
Polishing turds in pro tool... I love it.

I use samplitude 8 right now. I tried sonar, but hated it. Never used Protools though. I'd love to pick your brain sometime. I have plenty of homegrown songs for an album, but I'm getting no where in that project. I have a heavy hand when it comes to mixing my own music and stretching the project out of over years is getting me nowhere.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Thanks Tommy, it does run a little warm, but not warm enough to worry me. My preamps for recording music get hotter than the solenoid, so it's below my level of worry. I heard they are a good choice for continuos use applications, like leaving them powered and open for 10-14 hours at a time. Maybe it was just a sales pitch.

Thanks DiabloCanine, as far as howto, the hardest part was remembering to wrap the teflon tape in the correct direction. lol... I did add a fused link in the wireup, but this solenoid doesn't draw any more wattage then smaller clippard, like Rex uses, so I suppose the fuse was overkill as well. The solenoid also needed a plug wired to it, and if anyone doesn't already know, make sure the wire guage is the same between the wires from the solenoid and whatever plug your going to use. I'm not an electrician, so I did a little crash course in electricity before I wired up any industrial controls into my household electricity.

I purchased everything from Matzka Incorporated Home Page. Anyone in the Detroit Michigan area looking to put a system together, I would recommend trying them out. Very helpful people.

I didn't really think of this post in terms of a howto for anyone else trying it, but everything was purchased around the jn1 needle valves. I really like the big knurly nobs on them, so I just purchased everything basically 1/4" so I wouldn't have any extra reducers. Totally overkill, but I like it.

Thats hilarious! I guess I'll have to change my sig... Maybe - "Theres an ass for every seat"?

Just a heads-up, don't count on teflon tape to provide a leak proof seal for CO2. I use loctite, most use plumbers putty......DC

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a heads-up, don't count on teflon tape to provide a leak proof seal for CO2. I use loctite, most use plumbers putty......DC
Thanks DC, I'll keep that in mind! If it leaks down the road, I don't mind re-doing it. I do a leak test from time to time cause I'm paranoid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts