The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Built my cerges reactor for my 275g. It's got two Fluval FX5s pushing before the CO2 injection of 4-5 bubbles per second into the reactor. But as you can see it's spitting out lots of bubbles and the tank is getting the 7-Up look. On top of that, my drop checker is still more blue than green.

Here's a video of the bubbles

As far as I can tell the reactor isn't building up any backlog, and it's just the inner cylinder and outer casing (no media). Any advice? Should I throw some bio balls in perhaps? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I can not see the inside of the reactor, but assume it is properly made and that the water return pipe entrance is at the bottom.

about 1000g/h flow rate, I think you need a bigger size reactor.
or
add a bypass with a ball valve, adjust the ball valve until the flow rate inside the reactor slows down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can not see the inside of the reactor, but assume it is properly made and that the water return pipe entrance is at the bottom.

about 1000g/h flow rate, I think you need a bigger size reactor.
or
add a bypass with a ball valve, adjust the ball valve until the flow rate inside the reactor slows down.
Very helpful, thanks! Yes, the the return pipe entrance is at bottom. Unfortunately, I have no more room for an additional reactor

I've turned down the FX5s a tad. If that doesn't work might have to split the CO2 injection into both the cerges and one of the FX5s (adding another bubble counter).

Any other advice?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I second the recommendation to add a bypass.

I also like to add a back pressure valve between the reactor output and where the bypass reconnects. That combination has been great for me in terms of maximizing reactor efficiency.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m using this reactor with a bypass from NilocG

I have it connected to an OASE 350 for my 65 gal. I’m not getting 7 up but I haven’t gotten my drop checker at green yet either.. I’m putting around 4-5 Bps.I also feel like I’m lacking flow. I have 2 OASE 350 thermos on a 65 and hardly see plants waving. Any thoughts or advice? Does the flow really matter when I’m turning over almost 9x the amount of water per hour?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I’m using this reactor with a bypass from NilocG

I have it connected to an OASE 350 for my 65 gal. I’m not getting 7 up but I haven’t gotten my drop checker at green yet either.. I’m putting around 4-5 Bps.I also feel like I’m lacking flow. I have 2 OASE 350 thermos on a 65 and hardly see plants waving. Any thoughts or advice? Does the flow really matter when I’m turning over almost 9x the amount of water per hour?

View attachment 1029514
I tried that reactor and frankly, its a bad design, I returned it after a few days. The too wide 90 at the top is the problem, it slows the flow so much it cant keep bubbles in suspension. I was pumping 4 bps also and getting a gas bubble at the top of the reactor, I assume you are too. The guy at Niloc admitted to me that it cannot handle 4bps.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tried that reactor and frankly, its a bad design, I returned it after a few days. The too wide 90 at the top is the problem, it slows the flow so much it cant keep bubbles in suspension. I was pumping 4 bps also and getting a gas bubble at the top of the reactor, I assume you are too. The guy at Niloc admitted to me that it cannot handle 4bps.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
Yeah I had contacted him to see what he suggests... he hasn’t gotten back to me. I’ve tried a few different BPS and not getting lime green.. my drop checker is getting a dark green at 3bps. My ph drops from 7 to 6.4 when operating and I’m at 3DKH. What’s a good reactor that you would suggest that I could buy? I’m not good at DIY.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.