The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all here is my 29 gallon biocube. I have about a inch and a half of miracle grow natural and organic soil, three quarter of a inch play sand cap and about a inch and a half of aquarium gravel in various sizes. Using the stock pump for water flow and a intank media basket with filter floss as filtration. Got it wet today will still be adding larger rocks and wood for decoration. Then plants and fish down the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I think your cap is much deeper than you want. I would recommend removing about half of that gravel since you are also using sand.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think your cap is much deeper than you want. I would recommend removing about half of that gravel since you are also using sand.

Hey thanks cause I’m new I have to ask is it goin got hurt anything being deeper ?
Yes and no. A deep substrate bed like that can lead to anaerobic bacteria as well as hamper plant root growth as it takes longer to reach the "good stuff".

I don't know if this would happen in your aquarium but often times when there is a lot of substrate, mainly sand, it can compact and make it so roots cannot easily penetrate as well as kill the roots already there.

I would agree with streetwise and remove a nice bit of that gravel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the advice I’m going to be removing a bit of it tomorrow I bought a few rocks and plants what do you think. Hrmm says I exceeded my quota for files. Can’t post a picture

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You need just enough cap to plant cleanly, and no more. You want your water movement to get a bit into the substrate. The other reason for a minimal cap is to let mulm and fish waste rejoin the substrate to keep it going.

I don’t even vacuum my substrate after the first month, where you might make a mess.

When you plant, twist your forceps on the way in and the way out so you don’t stir too much.

For photos, I recommend Flickr or Google Photos. Check the photography forum for tips on embedding. I have a thread with Flickr advice.

I think you are making a good foundation for a healthy tank!

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need just enough cap to plant cleanly, and no more. You want your water movement to get a bit into the substrate. The other reason for a minimal cap is to let mulm and fish waste rejoin the substrate to keep it going.

I don’t even vacuum my substrate after the first month, where you might make a mess.

When you plant, twist your forceps on the way in and the way out so you don’t stir too much.

For photos, I recommend Flickr or Google Photos. Check the photography forum for tips on embedding. I have a thread with Flickr advice.

I think you are making a good foundation for a healthy tank!

Cheers
Thanks a lot streetwise I really appreciate you taking the time anything else I should know ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Keep posting and asking questions! I am only 18 months ahead of you, so I’ve made the same mistakes first.

I would say be careful of using big stones in a dirt tank for anaerobic reasons. Get a nice piece or two of Mopani wood for your hardscape, and position it so it blocks the least amount of substrate. You can then use it to anchor moss and epiphytes, and provide hiding places for shrimp.

I can’t scroll back while replying, but I love Fluval lights if you are still shopping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m using my ai prime hd just set to natural light spectrum or close to it and I’m definitely going to keep posting and asking questions. Also will be checking that 75 gallon journal out thanks guys

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Doh. I just noticed the photo link I referenced includes some marketing code. I will edit my post. Please edit your post too.

Chop out extra code and include a Reason for Editing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hit edit on post 11. Chop out all code except for the main IMG section with brackets.
Ok got it so that code I got from going to the link to trade the url for the Flickr code where do I go now since the links not there kinda lost now lol

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I put that link back in my thread, but with a caveat about the marketing bit. I tend to do photos on my computer rather than mobile.

How is the tank progressing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a little update things seem to be growing well and the fish all seem to be happy. I’m still getting a black filter floss every 2 days but I’m pretty sure it’s the soil leaching. So what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts