The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
WOW, that is a gorgeous tank and stand. You're a lucky guy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh my gosh, wow! What an incredible tank! Subscribed, I am looking forward to more pictures!

And I am glad everyone is okay, lol, what a ride that must have been! Fishy water park?

Oh jeez.

Well, just 24hours later, and I've already found my first passenger to ride the overflow waterfall slide. :icon_roll

Was doing a quick eyeball of things and was rooting around in the sump, when I saw him swimming around the center chamber.

Which means he had to go through the overflow, down the drain, through the prefilter tray, through the bioball tower, then over two sump chambers. lol

Looks like I'll have to get some mesh to put over the overflow grills.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well after several days since set-up, it's become apparent that my biggest challenge will be getting my dissolved CO2 levels back up.

Once I get a few days off work again (I work 12hr shifts), I'll have to look into sealing up the dry section of my wet/dry sump.

Also, I'm using a pair of Rio 1100's with needle wheel impellers in the return section, and I must say, I'm not overly a fan of the micro-bubble mist that's flying around the display tank. Looks like I'll have to look at plumbing the outlets into a Cerges reactor.

You can really see the micro-bubbles in these pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Any more pics of the sump? That thing looks awesome. I'm considering replacing mine with a custom acrylic one.
I'm curious to see more of the sump also. I've been thinking about having a new one custom built for me also sometime soon. That looks really nice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm curious to see more of the sump also. I've been thinking about having a new one custom built for me also sometime soon. That looks really nice.
I'm on the night shift the next few nights, but if I remember I'll snap some shots this weekend when I'm off.

The filter pads I ordered should be in by then as well.

I asked for 3" spacing between the baffles, as I intend to put the filter pads (15ppi and 30ppi) in there for more mechanical filtration.

Stay tuned! :red_mouth

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok as promised, I snapped a few shots of the sump:

This is the prefilter chamber, bioball tower, and sump area below the tower. Currently using 15ppi filter foam in the tray. There is a small gap all the way around the tray for spillover, in case the filter pad plugs up.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
These are the 3" baffles, center chamber which can also be used as a refugium, and the return pump section. I asked for the 3" spacing between baffles, so I could add the filter foam for more mechanical filtration. First 2 baffles have 15ppi foam blocks, In the center (fuge), is ceramic bio media that came from the 2 fluval FX5's on my old 125g tank. The last 2 baffles have 30ppi foam. I also currently have all the filter pads from the FX5's as well, to help seed the new tank. It's been about a week and a half now, and ammonia is still undetectable.

The return pump chamber houses a Rio 1100 needle wheel, which is where I'm injecting my CO2. The mist is being returned to the tank via the return pump, which is an Aqueon AQ8000 (2113gph @ 0 head).

I mentioned earlier that I don't really like the mist blowing around the tank, so I'll be plumbing in a cerges dwell time reactor in the near future (once the filter housing arrives in the mail).

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Full sump shot. You can see my attempt to seal the dry section of the tower with duct tape. :icon_lol:

Another thing I noticed not long after the sump was installed, was that the guy didn't plumb in any isolation valves! :confused1: So I'll be doing that soon as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Newest additions:

Farlowella acus - twig cats!
Also picked up some more juvenile denison barbs Puntius denisonii to add to the 6 I had.

An order of gold rams will be coming in next week, to complete my stocking plan.

The housing for my cerges reactor came in too, so I'll be plumbing that up this weekend when I'm off. I wanna get rid of the microbubble mist!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Now that is quiet the upgrade!!! It looks like everything has come together nicely.

I really like your layout of this tank. Congrats!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Here's a short clip of my guys grubbing on bloodworms. Hope the video link works! :icon_smil
The poor old skinny guy (I call him Gramps, he's over 8yrs old, one of the larger ones, with the peppering) doesn't compete well during bloodworm feedings, but he gets his share when I feed beefheart, and tetrabits.

The cerges reactor has been plumbed in as well. The microbubbles are virtually gone. My anubias pearling is actually the biggest source of microbubbles now. LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Updated full tank shot from 4/25, shortly after a water change. Unfortunately, my 8+ year old discus passed recently, and I lost a red cover due to what I suspect was self inflicted eye trauma.

I suspect that the red cover got spooked at some point one night because I saw it dark and hiding in some of the background plants. Closer inspection revealed that one of its eyes was popped out. I first thought pop-eye, but then I noticed that the lens looked cracked and the eye was partly filled with blood. It expired the following day. =(

There was a pretty sharp piece of driftwood that jutted out in the middle of the open swimming space where they typically gather. I've since sawed it off and covered it with moss.

Anywhoo, this tank has been up and running about 8 weeks now and plant growth has exploded. I've had to hack back the wisteria and cabomba several times now. The S.repens finally looks to be establishing it's root systems and the blyxa is looking lush. The alternanthera reineckii however is still looking less than stellar. It was originally getting some shade from the large driftwood piece on the right, so I've since moved it to an area getting more light. Still not looking all that great though...

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Wow, been over a year since I've updated this thread. Unfortunately, since that time I've created an instagram account. And that's where most of my tank pics go these days.

If you are at all interested, and have an instagram, you are welcome to follow me there! I am @saveriovega

In the meantime, here are some recent full tank shots of the discus tank. I've since acquired a Nikon D5500 as my first DSLR camera, so I've been taking LOTS of pics as I try to learn how to get better at using it. =)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 48 Posts