The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least 4 out of 6 Nerites in my tank died. I haven't seen the 5th, but I scooped 4 dead ones. The last one is still eating away.

I think they died of starvation. There wasn't a lot of algae left after they went to town and cleared the back wall. There was still some algae around, so I'm not sure how much they need to survive. I know some of the tank I see that it's a no brainer when you have to feed algae eating critters or fish, but I still had some algae on the glass.

Any thoughts to share?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I cant offer any help, I had the same issues with mine.

However, you may try pming ebichua, he knows quite a bit about the nerites. If he offers any suggestions please post them up.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How much is "some"? Snails dont move very fast so they may have died without ever finding the algae. In the future it would be a good idea to say once a week put in a piece of blanched zucchini to make sure they are getting food.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My nerites and all my fish eat sinking algae wafers. I stopped using flakes because of this. I have also seen the nerites eat or try to eat the live california black worms.
May sound dumb but I put a clear glass ashtry in the bottom of the tank and use a tube to drop the pellets right into it. This way I reduce waste and all fish have time to eat.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
It is almost NEVER starvation. I have placed hundred and hundreds of nerites in brand new tanks that I just set up the night before and had no deaths from starvation. In fact, I don't even put any algae wafers or anything in that tank. Just slap on a filter, gunk from old filter and let them go on their own.

Any more parameters you can share?
What was their previous tank's temp? A sudden rise in temp to cure ich can kill nerites, especially when you were sitting in the 80s already and bumping it up even higher. I used to have my nerites with discus and when I raised my temp past 80, I did lose a few of my original nerites who lived in that tank for at least 6 months (w/o discus at the time) with the temp of 76 or so. The sudden jump I had to do over the course of a day or two from 76 -> 82-84 seemed to have made them iffy about it.
Furthermore, when I treated ich and had to keep the temp at around 85-86, I lost about 3 out of the 7 I had in the tank. I used salt to treat ich, making sure that no chemicals were in the tank during treatment. I do not think salt kills them...

What was your treatment method for ich? If you used medications, then that's probably the reason for your deaths. There's probably traces of copper still in your water (ich meds = copper). Copper = death for inverts.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any parameters because I don't test. I know I have pretty soft water.

I didn't dose salt or medicine for ich, just raised the temp and let it run its course. I was already at 82, and the jump to 86 was done over the course of 2 days.

I'll think about this some more to see if I can think of something else I've changed recently.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Their life span in captivity is only between 1 and 2 years. How long have you had them? Any idea how old they were when you got them?

·
Registered
868 Posts
My Discus tank is 80 and I have known mine to go to the waters edge sometimes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I find if your water is too soft, or if you use too much RO water, they'll die. When I stopped using 100% RO and started mixing 50/50 with tap water, my nerites stopped dieing.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I find if your water is too soft, or if you use too much RO water, they'll die. When I stopped using 100% RO and started mixing 50/50 with tap water, my nerites stopped dieing.
Do you know if GH or KH is more important? Do you have any feel for what is too soft?

If I recall correctly, my water is just about RO in terms of KH, less than 1° when I tested. GH I remember being something small, like 2 or 4 GH.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Your parameters are fine for nerites. I keep many nerites of mine (personal tanks) around there too and no deaths. Their shells do erode though. Still, it doesn't kill them off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm sure my water is really close to yours kid creole, and I haven't had any issues with snails including Nerites. On my bigger tanks with more snails, I do dose some Kent Marine calcium though each week.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Their shells do erode though. Still, it doesn't kill them off.
So they don't die, but their sick? Why keep them semi healthy? having soft shells can't be good for them. I have read on other sites and articles that olives are the ones that adapt to freshwater the best, and that other species are more borderline in freshwater. Thats not the case?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
So they don't die, but their sick? Why keep them semi healthy? having soft shells can't be good for them. I have read on other sites and articles that olives are the ones that adapt to freshwater the best, and that other species are more borderline in freshwater. Thats not the case?
I have some very old Clithon Souleyetana in my tanks for over a year and a half now. Still going strong. They can live in your aquaria for a long time too (or at least, "long" in terms of average invert-years) and don't die off that fast.

Furthermore, the snails are not sick. The outer shell just appears unhealthy due to damages but the forever growing shell underneath the outer appearance stays sturdy and protects the snail still. I have had experiences in which the erosion is faster than the shell can grow to protect the snail. In these cases, you need to move the snail to a higher PH water to help it regrow a stronger shell again. However, this doesn't happen very often but it CAN still occur.

But then again, this whole shell erosion thing is totally off topic from the OP. There's no way that this is what caused them to die. It takes months for it to occur and shows obvious signs (very damaged shells. Chipped off and white outer appearance, so on).

Personally, I'd just chalk it up to too high of temp if all other parameters are well.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a thought. It's a 65 gallon tank, with another 10 or so in the sump. Over the course of the week I generally top it off with straight tap due to evaporation (1-2 gallons in a day, 2-4 in week). I don't use prime, unless it's going to be more water than that. Would they be more susceptible to tap water than fish?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Whoa- 4 gallons of chlorinated water a week still sounds pretty toxic, even in a tank that size. Why don't you use Prime?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whoa- 4 gallons of chlorinated water a week still sounds pretty toxic, even in a tank that size. Why don't you use Prime?
In the past, when I didn't have as much disposable income, I didn't use it at all. I learned this from a breeder who did 90% water changes on a garage full of tanks.

4 gallons is 5% of the water in the tank. If it's that bad for fish, maybe I shouldn't drink it.

I would use prime, but a cap is good for 50 gallons. How much for one? I'm not going to dispense it with an eye dropper (unless we conclude that it's killing snails).

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well, I certainly never did a 90% water change without dechlorinator- in fact, I've never done any water changes without dechlorinator. But here's a link to a thread with posts by many of the learned folks around here- some of which seem to indicate that they've had firsthand experience with chlorine poisoning: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/92320-fish-acting-half-dead-after-water.html

I don't claim to be a guru, but if I were you I sure wouldn't rule it out as the source of the problem. Just my two cents...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts