·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eco complete - about 4 bags
Eheim 2217
Local river rocks and some plant life
Lighting - T5s on 8 hours a day
Livestock - threadfin rainbows, neons, red cherries and Darwin algae shrimp.

I fert irregularly with Dino Spit and Dino pee - these and the threadfins came from Dave at Aquagreen.

Top ups only. And lately the wood has been moved about and about and about.

What it looked like originally

9th June 09

But then I got fed up with some algae and the big piece of wood, so pulled that out. Moved a few things about

*note the front of the tank, the glass is tinted, its an old seaworld tank.

19th September (phone pic) pictures. Am topping up today.

FTS

Right front - see that really rare fish in the centre..... golden banded finger fish *nods*

Left front

Side view

Top left

Top centre - is that a sword?

Top right.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice! That is a huge snail! Got any pictures of your threadfins? Those are one of my favorites. I'm planning on putting a few in my tank once I get rid of a small-fish-eating gold gourami.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to get pictures. Just so far have been unsuccessful. I have 7, 6 are males.... So I get a lot of posturing for the poor female. About three males are now at breeding age going by the displays. The tinted front glass makes it even harder to get a decent look/picture.

They are great though.

I also have two whiptail catfish, one juvenile and an older one that has me trained to feed it algae disks. Think I may have 2 females so far.

That snail is a fiend, fights everyone for the disks and eats my corkscrew Val. It was in the shrimp tank but took to biting them (well it looked like that to me) they had some wars thats for sure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Normally I like the wild look but this one seems to need a little trimming. Not a lot just a little. Looks like a great home for your fish.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why did you get fed up with that big piece of wood? Was it floating? I love it.

I love the wild, jungly look. Your tank looks great.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I believe that's a crypt. Java ferns usually have a distinctive undulating pattern on the leaves. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
It really looks like a river! I am a big fan of natural looking tanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been fiddling, trimming etc.

Will update tonight when the lights are on. Not very keen about the light piece of wood so have been walking the paddocks and putting more wood in for soaking but it can stay in till I have a replacement. I have a huge eucalypt that died a few years ago and its kindly dropping some good branches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for that, will help me with ordering, that lived in really low light and barely lived for years and is now repaying the fact I didnt bin it...

the 27th full tank

Right front, you can just see my whip tail waiting for more algae disks.

My shrimpies

Attempt at taking a picture of the dominant male threadfin

Same fish with flash

Will keep working on those and get the tripod out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice look! I like the natural feel.

When I get a new set up I definitely want to keep threadfins. You ever catch them munching on your baby cherry shrimps?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the threadfins, no they are not interested in the shrimp. They however have tiny mouths so its a bit of a trial and error with food.

Thank you for the compliments. Am a bit happier about the depth, I need to remove some twisted val but just letting it grow for now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Substrate is eco-complete.

The shrimp are Red cherries and Darwin Algae Shrimp. The Darwin's are from Aquagreen.com.au, as are the threadfins. Dont believe they export live fish (could be wrong though) but its a great site with really good pictures and information.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts