The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this pond for about a year and just realized that this is also the pond forum. I just got a new 450 GPH pump at wal-mart for $30 and it is great. I'm going to add a waterfall and some plants very soon. My pond is only 30 gallons, which is probably the tiniest pond you can get. My parents wouldn't let me get a big pond because it was too expensive and the earth here in Virgina is literally rock solid. Currently I have 2 tadpoles and 1 salamander.

enjoy

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok,
why can't you dig??

I'll tell you my digging experience:

about the first 1-1.5 feet was rock hard red clay. This was the hardest part as there were some big pieces that i had to dig around and then pull out. That part took about 2-3 hours. The rest was really easy since the location was near my house , the next 1 foot of ground was sand! that took only about 25 minutes to dig. Then I had to shape the hole so my tub could fit in it. that took about an hour of trial and error. after that i just stuck it in, lined it with rocks, and placed the pump in.

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
ok,
why can't you dig??

I'll tell you my digging experience:

about the first 1-1.5 feet was rock hard red clay. This was the hardest part as there were some big pieces that i had to dig around and then pull out. That part took about 2-3 hours. The rest was really easy since the location was near my house , the next 1 foot of ground was sand! that took only about 25 minutes to dig. Then I had to shape the hole so my tub could fit in it. that took about an hour of trial and error. after that i just stuck it in, lined it with rocks, and placed the pump in.

hope this helps
Cant dig due to pipes. Its apartments. I was thinking of a decorative way to have it above ground but cant think of anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh i see now. well if you can find a 50g pot with no holes, it might work. I have seen these pop up water gardens with a pump and everything. I saw them on an in-flight magazine on United airlines. They are pretty cool. Thats probably the best you can do with limited space.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Cant dig due to pipes. Its apartments. I was thinking of a decorative way to have it above ground but cant think of anything.
James just make a raised bed garden and put a pond in it.

ir0n_ma1den I know how that is, I can't have a pond because my parrents are worried about the neighbors kids drowning in it... (I'm talking at least 100gals more like 500 though.)

The worst part is that in my old house we had a nice decent size one... Ohh well once I move out:hihi:

-Andrew

Btw, Those hostas look good! I like the variegated ones but those ones are nice but they really make your pond look small since their one of the bigger varieties...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I think I need a nanopond! I can't have a big one right now cuz of the drowning kid thing.

(By the way, stock tanks make great above-ground ponds. You can dress up the sides with decking if you want. I used drywall, slate, and moulding to pretty up mine, but it was indoors and had to match. Wasn't nano though...160 gallons is only nano to koi.)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Isn't that NICE! I love the hostas, IM. Are the darker green plants in the bunch by the bricks also hostas? Are you going to plant anything else near it? If you made a bog when you make the waterfall you could use bog plants in there and it'd make it look bigger. But it's so cute as it is! I have lots of big ponds, but now I want a nano pond in the ground, too!

Like Mori said, stock tanks make great above-ground ponds. I have a few of them since I have small grandchildren that come visit a lot (don't want to worry about the drowning kid thing either). It's a great compromise if you're worried about that. And if you can't dig. Stock tanks would be great for apartment dwellers, too ~ no hole to fill back in when you move and you can take the whole thing with you. Here's a picture of my small one:

You can even get a smaller one than that for about seventy five bucks ~ it's 4' long by 2' tall by 2' wide if I'm remembering right. Check out www.tractorsupply.com for prices in your area.

And whiskey barrels do make great nano ponds. I had a few a couple years ago when I bought eight or ten whiskey barrels for planting some of my plants. I noticed that some of them were rather tight ~ just small cracks between the slats. So I filled them all up with water, gave them time to soak it up and swell up, then filled them up again ~ three held water! So I plunked some plants in them and a small goldfish from my other ponds to keep the mosquitoes away. Voila! I had little pondlets everywhere! :biggrin: Here's one on my porch (dogs are drinking out of it :icon_lol: ):

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
sweet nano,lol.
james
stack rocks up about 1ft hihg in the shape of a pond you want, like a perimeter, then put a liner in it and stack rocks on the edge of the liner, basic pond building, in a mini version, and without digging.
ut's like a above ground pond.

·
Registered
159 Posts
my mom built her 150g above ground pond with chunks of broken concrete stacked up, then put a liner over it, another layer of broken concrete and stone over the top for a rim.

·
Registered
159 Posts
its changed a bit now. my mom went through this phase where she was making concrete "bowls" using rhubarb leaves as a form. basically make a mound of sand on a table, lay a rhubarb leaf over it, then pack concrete on top of the leaf so it formed with the impression of the leaf in the concrete and was a soft bowl shape. very cool looking. she stained it a soft green and drilled a hole up through the leaf where the stem would be and used that as the "fountain" because the terracotta pitcher in the pic above broke over the winter.

then in the basin right below that is filled with watercress now. no more hostas or floating plants either, we replaced them with this cool bog grass that goes absolutely nuts! from one small plant, we've had to split it up into about 4 or 5 pots and its still almost splitting the gallon plastic pots open with roots growing out the bottom and sides. also have a bog bean plant at the far end and hornwort floating around. its under a tree so we don't really worry about shading the water to keep it cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.