The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a madagascar lace that's huge and has completely taken over my 44.7 tank. Many of the leaves are 12 inches long and more are on the way. Can I chop the leaves off without killing the plant? I would hate to lose it--but I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
The ML can be one of the harder plants to keep. You've managed what a lot of people try hard and fail at. I suggest you let it run wild and enjoy it.

I had one I nursed back to health after a Club Swap purchase. At one point it covered a 20L. Got it to flower and basically lost it over night.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
One of my favorite top 200 IAPLC tanks this year featured a tangle of wood with Lace plants behind and not much else. See #26 http://en.iaplc.com/results12/top200vote/

If you don't love the plant then rehome it. If you love it then think about scaping the tank around it.

You have another tank swallower in there too, that red lily is another beautiful plant that can take over. I know it can be pruned by removing leaves that grow taller than you like.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'm thinking that I will simply cut the big leaves off and leave the ones in the middle to grow. It also has a flower...if that matters. I just want to confirm that that will not harm the plant. It's either that or I will have to sell it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.