The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here's a pic of my 29 gallon low-tech. I've had it running for two months and things are filling in nicely.

Specs:

Lights: 36 W t-5
Heater: 200W Hydor Inline
Filter: Eheim Eco Comfort 2234
Substrate: Eco- Complete, Quartz
CO2:Hagon DIY
Ferts: Florish Excel and nitrogen (ocasssionally)
Flora: Anubias barteri, Nana and Petite Nana, Crypt lucens, spiralis and wenditti red,christmas moss and jave ferv"windelov" and narrow leaf, corkscrew val, dwarf sag and sunset hygro.

Fauna: 9 rummynose and 6 red phantom tetras, 2 otto cats, 4 corydoras "black" aneus, and red cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Congrats on a really nice looking setup. I like that it looks really wild but still intentional. And yea that really looks like rotala rotundifolia to me! :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, that is rotala rotundifolia in front of the bubble counter. I've been using cuttings from a bunch I bought over two years ago. Thanks for the comments. This is one of my favorite setups lately. This was ispired by one of Amano's tanks in the June 2005 TFH magazine. Algae is virtually non-exsistant, and with out all theose stem plants to trim, maintainence is a breeze. I'm also very pleased with my Coralife T-5 strip, very compact with great light output and nicely priced to boot.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd say, 36 watts puts you at barely over 1 wpg, for what it's worth. Must be a nice little reflector on that thing! :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was high tech on this tank I ran a coralife 2X65W. I swear the 36W T-5 is as bright as when I ran one 65W bulb. Nice little lights.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yea, I ran 2x55w for a while. I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to keep up the other parameters for that much light, so algae ensues. Lower light is a good idea. Especially when it looks this good! :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Awesome looking tank! :thumbsup: The Coralife light fixtures have really good reflectors in them. I was talking to the "plant geek" at my lfs and we were discussing the coralife fixtures he sells in his store and he said they have really good reflectors and i must agree because i have one for my 29g tank and it does an awesome job!

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL im getting a coralife 36watt fixture for my 6gal
yikes... I can already see the algae everywhere.....

PS looks great

PW

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Tank is really doing well. Just a touch of brush algae on the moss closest to the surface. Just added 5 Cobra guppies I picked up at our club's auction last night. Beautiful little fish.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Any updates? I set up a non-CO2 tank a little while ago, and becuase of this thread I went with the 24" Coralife T5. I can't believe how well the plants are doing for non-CO2. Thanks for posting.

I had the 48" Coralife T5 and didn't think much of it on a 50 gallon along with T12's, but on smaller tanks these Coralife T5's are awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts