The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello there fellow aquarium owners! :icon_cool

I have started a small low-tech aquarium to test how well the low-tech/naturally planted technique works.
The aquarium is atm soon 3 weeks old and I thought about updating it about every 2 weeks so that you can follow how it developes - if it now would interest someone.
So, lets get started...

Technology/Substrate/Chemistry:
15 l (approx 4gal) tank
Unknown light - apporx 20W bulb I think, and a 20W hallogen that is on in evening/morning to simulate dusk/dawn and during mid day to give a bit more light - although it is not that effective since only a part of the light hitts the aquarium - I might sometime take a pic to illustrate this.
Peat, planting soil approx 2.5cm (1") topped with "english sea stone", i.e. rounded gravel.

Fauna:
3 Guppys
Some snails (not yet present)

Flora:
Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' ('Pink')
Bacopa australis
Echinodorus osiris
Echinodorus tenellus

And now some pictures:

The only care I have given the tank is feeding and a 30% water change after the first week. I have recently added the tenellus and osiris so there is no picture of them yet.
I also got tired of waiting for the snails and cleaned the front glass from algae.

The plants and algae are bubbeling and the aquarium seems to be healthy.
Next picture update to come in approx one week.

Happy commenting &
thank you in advance! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again,
to sad that there were no more comments...oh well, time for an update :)

I also added this picture in my first post to get a full set...
As you can see all the plants are there now and there are also some snails, one less guppy (one decided to jump out) and more algae.

I don't really know how to best get rid of the algae since I can't really fit any more fish in there so I guess it's time to go hunting for some chemicals...

Over and out and happy commenting :)
Thank you in advance! :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Before you start dumping in chemicals that might throw everything out of whack, try cutting down the light a bit and doing water changes. I'd nix the halogen altogether. Also, is direct sunlight striking this thing? I see you're in Sweden, so the sun is low in the sky and probably penetrates pretty deep into the room, if it faces S. By the way, your tank if really pretty, in an unpaved sort of way. I wish we could easily get frameless here in the States. I guess that's where DIY comes in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
nice

thats a great tank iam looking forward to seeing more of it. what filter are you using and is this tottaly chemical free? , so you just added your substrates and plants and fish and poof there it is ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello and thank you for your replies! :)
hoffboy: I'll try to get a stable lighting amount so that the plants can settle and compete with the algae so that it would disapear...
And no sunlight to this aquarium since it is placed on the floor next to my big aquarium. Unfortunately we don't get that many southern windows in our house and especially at this time of the year not much direct sunlight comes in anywhere...

TAM: It has grown very much but there is adittional tenellus in the last shot...I don't think tenellus could grow that fast under any conditions :p
Jegoban: No filter and no chemicals (but for some nitrivec that I had lying around). Just put in substrates, plants, water and then fish & snails and thats it...30% water change after first week to get rid of any harmful spikes for the fish (sure not even this was really nessesary) and then just filling it up with water every week :)

Thank you all for the positive comments, I look forward to posting updates :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks pretty awesome. I'm impressed with the growth, it's fantastic seeming how you're only doing the odd water change and not really adding any chemicals. Natural growth all the way!!

And i feel you on the guppy jumping thing... one of my females once lept from my 20 gallon about a year ago, fell the best part of 4 feet to the wooden floor below...found it when i returned with my bucket of fresh water.. popped it back in and it was swimming around good as new!! One of the mysteries of aquarium keeping..

Anyhow, i love your aquascaping work, even for such a low main. tank. It's pretty safe to say i'm a fan :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would love to do something very close to what you have done here, it looks awesome!

is there a particular brand of peat moss and planting soil you used? (sorry if that was a dumb question, im new :D )

·
Registered
66 Posts
it looks really good!! especially for a 4 gallon. so u have any kind of water movement in there? since u really didnt mention any of heater or stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.