The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok our new 10 gal has a aqueon 15w t8 18 inch 8,000k aquarium lamp in it but it seems to give my tank a purple hue when I turn it on. I dont really care for it. What could I replace it with to get a more clear normal daylight color.like my eclips tank had I would prefer to get a bulb from like homedepo or walmart. The tank contains three different kinds of moss peacock tawian and christmas moss. It also has dwarf hair grass a marimo ball and a betta fish living in it so I need something that will work for plants thanks for the help

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Some bulbs have a mix of phosphors that causes them to emit lots of red and blue light, making the light look a bit purple, until you get used to it. For reasons that aren't clear, but are probably just marketing reasons, those bulbe are usually said to be 7000, or 8000, or 8750K bulbs. With the low light plants you have you could do fine with ordinary 6500K bulbs. The purple ones may help with plant growth, and do make the fish colors show up better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some bulbs have a mix of phosphors that causes them to emit lots of red and blue light, making the light look a bit purple, until you get used to it. For reasons that aren't clean, but are probably just marketing reasons, those bulbe are usually said to be 7000, or 8000, or 8750K bulbs. With the low light plants you have you could do fine with ordinary 6500K bulbs. The purple ones may help with plant growth, and do make the fish colors show up better.
Thanks for the help may be we will leave the funny purple light then if it will help my plants grow.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some bulbs have a mix of phosphors that causes them to emit lots of red and blue light, making the light look a bit purple, until you get used to it. For reasons that aren't clean, but are probably just marketing reasons, those bulbe are usually said to be 7000, or 8000, or 8750K bulbs. With the low light plants you have you could do fine with ordinary 6500K bulbs. The purple ones may help with plant growth, and do make the fish colors show up better.
How many hours a day should I have this light on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a zoomed flora sun light in my tank it has that same purple color. It really makes red and blue coloration on the fish stand out. As far as plant growth I've noticed no difference I can see. I've been looking at magazines that recommend a 6500-6700 for planted tanks yet I see this specialized flora bulb which in some mags say that it isn't the right bulb for planted tanks. Is this true that 6500-6700 is better for plants?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have a zoomed flora sun light in my tank it has that same purple color. It really makes red and blue coloration on the fish stand out. As far as plant growth I've noticed no difference I can see. I've been looking at magazines that recommend a 6500-6700 for planted tanks yet I see this specialized flora bulb which in some mags say that it isn't the right bulb for planted tanks. Is this true that 6500-6700 is better for plants?
That depends on what other color temperature bulb its compared to.
No. Color temperature alone should not be the criteria for judging if a bulb is suitable. I do suggest a little time be spent reading articles on color temp, color rendering index ( CRI ) Loosely characterized, bulbs from 5000-6700 are suitable. A good target is 5500K with a high CRI above 90.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That depends on what other color temperature bulb its compared to.
No. Color temperature alone should not be the criteria for judging if a bulb is suitable. I do suggest a little time be spent reading articles on color temp, color rendering index ( CRI ) Loosely characterized, bulbs from 5000-6700 are suitable. A good target is 5500K with a high CRI above 90.
so is the one I have good for plants or do i need something else if so what would you recommend for my lo tec tank.

my light is an aqueon 15w t8 18 inch 8,000k aquarium lamp

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't be answered because there's too little info provided. I even search for a spectral output graph with no results.
Im not sure that's all the info that's on the light its self. the box that the tank came in just says full spectrum light for vivid fish colors and plants. I am going to email the company that makes the tank kit and see if they can give me any more information about the light that came in the kit.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Im not sure that's all the info that's on the light its self. the box that the tank came in just says full spectrum light for vivid fish colors and plants. I am going to email the company that makes the tank kit and see if they can give me any more information about the light that came in the kit.
Note full spectrum doesn't mean a thing, that's just a marketing tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts