The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LFS just got cherry red shrimp in for the first time. I told them call me when they actually got them well they did which was awesome but the guy that called me actually quoted them at $14.99 a piece. Are they out of their minds or am I?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That's hilarious!! Those poor shrimp are gonna die though, since no one will be purchasing them. :(

That's how much my LFS was trying to charge me for some wild bee shrimp, which are much "rarer" so to speak, and I still thought they were overcharging me. THIS is highway robbery, lol.

Dummies. I swear, most LFS's obviously do NOT have their fingers on the pulse of this hobby, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
WOW! Those are some exspensive cherrys!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wow, I thought my LFS was nuts at $4.99 a piece though they give discounts for quantities. I'm lucky as the local aquatic plant club (SFBAAPS) has so many generous members if someone asks before our monthly meeting people will bring you 6-12 for free usually (or maybe a plant or two trade)!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
My LFS just got cherry red shrimp in for the first time. I told them call me when they actually got them well they did which was awesome but the guy that called me actually quoted them at $14.99 a piece. Are they out of their minds or am I?

*Maybe* 10 years ago that was ok.

Buy them on the boards here. You can usually get them for a buck a piece, maybe less, and if you buy 20 or more can usually get free shipping.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hah, crazy. Not you, them; the going price online is between $1-$2 per cherry shrimp, from what I've seen.

When I was in St. Louis, the only store that carried cherries charged $7.99 each. It's a bit better here in the DC area, but only a little bit, because my LFS still charges $3.99 per cherry.

Buy online. Try Swap n' Shop, I've had nothing but good experiences.

Even if it's crystal reds they've got, $14.99 is expensive unless it's one of the high-grade shrimps, like rich815 said. You can get decent-quality C grade fellows around here for about $3 each, it's not bad at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So do you guys think the CRS are worth it should I try and work them down a bit? What would we consider reasonable if I can verify the grade. I'll probably go by take some pics and come get your opinions.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
i think i have good shrimp prices at the store...

crystal shrimp are 9.99 3 for $23.00
cherry shrimp 1.99 6 for $10
tiger shrimp 1.99 6 for $10

that seem kinda fair to you guys?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So do you guys think the CRS are worth it should I try and work them down a bit? What would we consider reasonable if I can verify the grade. I'll probably go by take some pics and come get your opinions.
Have you raised any shrimp before now? If not try cherries first.

Even though they are fairly easy I failed twice. They really need a stable tank to thrive and breed. First two times was with a small 5 gal HEX tank that I thought was stable as it had been going for some time but I guess not for shrimp. I started up a 60P (18 gal) tank and got that one going and my next try with cherries succeeded well. Once you get that down they do really well. The CRS are more finicky. Recently I've got some CRS, black bee and tigers in there too and so far so good a few weeks later.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i think i have good shrimp prices at the store...

RCS are 9.99 3 for $23.00
CRS 1.99 6 for $10
tiger shrimp 1.99 6 for $10

that seem kinda fair to you guys?
Did you switch RCS and CRS there? Also, that seems VERY cheap for Tigers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.