The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i went to my LFS yesterday (which is new) to get some blackworm for some little axolotl. What did I see? a tank full of BEE SHRIMP for 2 dollars each. My boyfreind saw them pointed them out to me and said we should get them. I wanted them soo bad, they are cheaper than the cherry shrimp arround here (5 bucks each, differnt LFS, which infact isnt that "L" for me) Well, I do not have a tank currently set up that would make cute little bee shrimp happy. So we have to wait. Maybe I will buy a 5-10 gallon Nano from them and set something up soon, just incase... From what I could tell all the shrimps were pretty much juvinile too. They said it was first time they got them in, but I think they sold a bit, so hopefully they will get some again.

Is $2/ea for BEE SHRIMP good price?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
From what I could tell all the shrimps were pretty much juvinile too.
actually, bee shrimp stay very small, under a centimeter,
so don't buy them for a community tank unless you want
to give your fish $2 treats.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont keep fish, so that is no problem

I thought both Bee and bumblebee will need soft water?

Also, I still have not figure it out, well I really havnt spent much time reading, because bee/bumble/crystals were not much in my interest. (it changes when on is found local though) I was wondering inways in which one can tell bees from bumblebees?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'd get a few and put them in a net breeder if I were desperate ;) Those are excellent prices if they are bees.
I looked up Axolotl... wow, those are really cool looking animals!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, I knew both needed soft water, that is why i do not have any yet. My tanks are in teh high 7s to 8.0 ph wise. Chicago water is pretty hard. BUT- I do have acess to R/O and D/I water at work and I was told it was ok to take some home.

So....what do you suggest the best way to go about diluting the R/O water with tap water to create a good range? I asume R/o would be best to use than D/I for this project. Besides plant matter such as driftwood and leaves, what are good natural buffers for tanks for these guys to keep the water at a good range?

I have never done a soft water tank...ever...

As for axolotls, they are pretty cool guys, that is why i love them so much. axolotl.org is good if you ever want to get one and caudata.org has a great axolotl forum with LOTS of pics. I also can keep Neocaridina Heteropoda with them without casualties. Though, axolotl being a creature that loves when the temp is lover than 21 degrees, Breeding of the cherries slows significantly in the winter. I basically keep my "rejects" with them. I do not like that word, but it is all i can come up with now, seeming i love all my shrimps, even the ghosties.

·
Registered
205 Posts
RO and DI water are pretty much the same except the DI is a tiny bit more pure water.

As for mixing it I have always just mixed tap water with it to the pH and hardness that I desired. It will take a bit of tinkering with parts tap to DI/RO but its not that hard start off small in the ratio.

I think I use to use 1 gallon to 4 gallons of DI when I had 7.8 pH with about 23* dkH tap. I am not sure its been but it was something in that range. Just try it out and see what you end up with just make sure you take notes so you have your formulas written down so you don't have to guess or go through it again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I know the dif, D/IDe-ionised. I has less ions in it, thus less trace element bits. I use it through the machines after running tests to clear out residue. Since I do amphibians mostly, D/I water is a no-no for them, for it will mess up their equalibriam/body salts, at least with D/I water as majority. Still I believe it is sugested Not to even use tap water in a D/I dillution. At least this is based off of reading material rather than experience. Like I said, my only experience with D/I is rinsing probes and flushing machines. I never used it makeing a home for something that is alive.

Jubs, your solution is quite helpful for me to figure out to do this correctly, the task no longer seeming daunting. While making the solutions what would be the ideal ph and hardness as end result? ph 6.5-6.8? no?

Lets seem tap water in here is like...7.2-7.4 ph range? I am sorry I had to use my ****** drip ph tester- I will try to get something more accurate tomorrow with the crazy machines at work. Lets see, GH is about 120 mg/L. The KH is 90mg/L...Looks like I will be having fun with water chemistry to make a home for a bee. This should make cycling fun.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Uh, I think you have the wrong shrimp here. Bee and bumble bee shrimps will hit 1" easily vs. staying under a centimeter.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yeah under a cm, why do I find you posting wrong info all the time. With your high post count people are gonna believe you. Bee are actually typically a bit bigger than cherries full grown.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This week they have Bumblebees for 2.50 each.
Tank still isnt 100% ready for any bees, bumble, new bee, crs, etc. shrimps.

I was wondering, I been ph testing many sources of water lately. I noticed the brita water pitcher makes a low ph arround 6.4-ish. I wonder if the brita filter for the sink faucet can lower ph and remove metals/chemicals as well as the pitcher filter. I wonder if a mix of tap and brita water would work making a nice range of ph and hardness. I never had to lower a ph/hardness before this, it was always buffering up. How much effect would a piece of driftwood effect the chemistry?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Uh, I think you have the wrong shrimp here. Bee and bumble bee shrimps will hit 1" easily vs. staying under a centimeter.
Ditto.

BTW that really is a good price. Wish I could even find those in my area, let alone that cheap. I'd love to have some.

Good luck with them. With all the talk about CRS/RCS, I'd like to see some new talk about some different shrimp. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This week the store has large blueish macro shrimp that look totally evil. They also look like little prawns i see on top of soup, but alive.

I can't find very much detailed info on keeping/breeding Bees or Bumbles, jut basic information. I asume very similar to CRS. Soooo any nice bee or bumble information to be found besides the shrimpnow.com ?

Anyways, I thought I was getting my ph down pretty nice and bought a few[bumbles]. Well, those drip tests are crap. I brought in some water samples to work to test and, well, it was way off, as in over 7.6 (tested several times on differnt meters). Oh yeah drip test telling me 7.2 range, i have a driftwood it will be ok to put some Bumbles in it... Bah! *shakes fist at lying Drip ph test...*But, i am having a hook-up with almond leaves and a little R/O water for changes until things settle down.

Well, if these guys survive the time, which I bet they will, I hope i have as much sucess with them as i have with cherries (and even ghost shrimp, they babies are almost large enough to make more babies, i just hope there is a good gender ratio)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok so i went to my LFS yesterday (which is new) to get some blackworm for some little axolotl. What did I see? a tank full of BEE SHRIMP for 2 dollars each. My boyfreind saw them pointed them out to me and said we should get them. I wanted them soo bad, they are cheaper than the cherry shrimp arround here (5 bucks each, differnt LFS, which infact isnt that "L" for me) Well, I do not have a tank currently set up that would make cute little bee shrimp happy. So we have to wait. Maybe I will buy a 5-10 gallon Nano from them and set something up soon, just incase... From what I could tell all the shrimps were pretty much juvinile too. They said it was first time they got them in, but I think they sold a bit, so hopefully they will get some again.

Is $2/ea for BEE SHRIMP good price?
Singapore do sell them for 0.99 Singapore Dollar cents a pcs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts