The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls, I'm going to start a journal of how my plants grow and what they grow better with and how other fish (clean up crews) help keep the plants clean and healthy. Another test I'm going to be doing is how to keep algae at a minimum.

Tank 1: 120 liters
Lighting: 2 x t5 lights with a photoperiod of 12 hours (on timer)
Temp: 26-29C
cO2: Home made mix and generator. Airline goes in to the air input on the powerhead and the bubbles are sprayed over the plants and tank. This tank has got an air sponge filter just to keep oxygen levels up.

Tank 2: 240 liters
Lighting: 2 x t8 strips on for around 10 hours (no timer)
Temp 27-30C
cO2: Same home made 2 liter mix with airline going in to the filter intake, getting split up through the whole system and then injected back in to the tank as millions of tiny bubbles through the filter output.

Cabomba Caoliniana & the big plant (not too sure on what it is)
This is how it looked before I cut them and replanted the cuttings

This is how it looks now in the 240 and how it's growing with the cO2
Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:
aquarium plants list

You can see in the 3 pictures how the plants are filling out just after 3 days and how the newly rolled leaf on the big plant is starting to become more vertical and unrolled. These are the only plants showing large growth apart from my water wisteria rooting from upper branches and new sprouts from the root base.

Sorry for the large amount of pictures. They probably describe the plants better than I do lol. Hopefully if I get enough plants to grow I'll be turning the 240 in to an apistogramma species tank and using the 120 as a plant growing/fry tank with shrimp and ottocinclus to groom the plants. I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks
Kyle

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Your "big plant" looks like an Anubias, in which case the rhizome (green "stem" the leaves grow out of) needs to be pulled up out of the substrate so it gets light. Otherwise it will eventually rot and die, killing the entire plant.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply, I will do that. It is definitely growing submerged at the moment but I'll tie it to a piece of bog wood tomorrow. I'm going to be buying mesh netting later today and starting a riccia or xmas background and I might get some ferts too while I'm there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.