The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son won a betta and I need to keep it alive for a few days till I can get a heated tank set up. My planted bowl is big enough for him, but the water temp is 64 degrees F. Will he survive and not get sick if he goes in there for 3-4 days?

The only other option I can think of is to put him in a plastic tub that's floated in the heated 20L, but it won't be covered and that tank doesn't have a hood so there's the risk of jumping. I'm also assuming that he'll try to eat the 5-week old guppy fry in that tank, so just putting him in there temporarily doesn't work. Unless you think the fry will be safe? Heck, will any of the guppies be safe?

Help, please!

(On the good side, this is a perfect excuse for a new tank and more plants! :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Honestly, I would keep him in a bowl for a few days but keep him somewhere warm, preferably 75F. He should be fine until you get something set-up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You could always do a kritter keeper .. those are generally big enough for a heater (if you have a heater available) ..

If you don't, what I do, is find the warmest room in your house and keep him there. If you have a fireplace or some heating element, you could use the ambient heat from that to warm him up too.

A friend once entered a contest at school (national contest) to win an american quarter horse.. she won.. None the less her mom wasn't too happy LOL. At least he didn't come home with a goldfish or a horse! Bettas are easier to take care of.

Or you could try musican's idea. If you don't have a breeders box you could always use a large tupperware or something like that and float that around. I'd tie fishing line around it to tie it to the tank so it doesn't flip over or some rigging like that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a breeders box in the heated tank ?
If I had one on hand, I'd do that. It's a great idea.

Just so no one is thinking I'm going to make the poor thing suffer long term, I do have a 5g the betta can call home, but it's in a box and needs to be set up plus I need to buy a heater which means at least Monday before he can get into the tank. I just need to keep him alive till then.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always do a kritter keeper .. those are generally big enough for a heater (if you have a heater available) ..

If you don't, what I do, is find the warmest room in your house and keep him there. If you have a fireplace or some heating element, you could use the ambient heat from that to warm him up too.
I have the cut he came in sitting on top of the wi-fi router right now, which is the warmest place I could find. It's not exactly hot, but the house temp is 66 so until I buy a heater this weekend, at least it's a little bit of warmth.

A friend once entered a contest at school (national contest) to win an american quarter horse.. she won.. None the less her mom wasn't too happy LOL. At least he didn't come home with a goldfish or a horse! Bettas are easier to take care of.

Or you could try musican's idea. If you don't have a breeders box you could always use a large tupperware or something like that and float that around. I'd tie fishing line around it to tie it to the tank so it doesn't flip over or some rigging like that.
OMG a horse! lol

If I put a tupperware as a floater, do I have to worry about the fish jumping out? Can you tell I've never had a betta before? :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you did some sort of container for him you can always cover the top with cling wrap with holes poked in it. Just make sure the water isn't filled to the top. Leave at least 1cm at the top for him/her to breathe. If it's a semi disposable container maybe poke holes (outward) for water to flow into it. You don't want the sharp plastic bits poking anyone

·
Registered
782 Posts
You want to QT him from the existing tank, so I'd be careful. Poor thing was probably already stressed from the carnival. Find the warmest area, maybe next to your existing heated tank. If you have one of those hoods that could safely hold a small container, set him on there. Add a plant clipping to make him feel secure.

I use old fashioned water bottles and heating pads for abandoned birds, reptiles, kittens, etc. to use in emergency. Problem is, new heating pads have the darn automatic shut off. An older model can be placed on a shelf, set on low, put a towel over it, and set your betta container on it.

-Stef*

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
i would take a Tupperware or cup and float him in one of your tank. Use tape and make a grid at the top so he can't jump. use another tape to secure him to the side fo your tank.

he will definitely get sick and die in 66 degrees water.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Honestly, I would keep him in a bowl for a few days but keep him somewhere warm, preferably 75F. He should be fine until you get something set-up.
Warmer actually.
The shallow, rice patty water they are from in the wild is more like 78 to 83. Obviously they can live at lower temps, but as long as we're pointing out proper husbandry...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I would not poke holes for water to flow through the container if you do float him in a bigger tank. Bettas who have been kept in those tiny cups for extended amounts of time are prone to illness and disease and you don't want to infect your other fish. Have that talk with your boy (depending on how old he is) that you might have to nurse the fish back to health and he needs to be "quarantined" for a few weeks all by himself and if the fish dies in the next few weeks it won't be his fault it's from the fish not receiving proper care while he was growing up.

Honestly 2 days at lower temps is not going to hurt the fish, it's not ideal but he is not going to up and die because of it and is probably quite used to lower temps at this point - he's never had warm water in the store he came from. They prefer higher temps, 78ish for mine, but can be fine in lower, you aren't going to keep him that way just until you can get his heater.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your great advice! The betta spent the night in a container floated in my heated guppy tank, held in place with a make-shift tulle "net". I'm going to start working on his tank today and will hope he doesn't get too over-excited with the curious guppies that keep going by him. The heater will be here tomorrow.

Peachii, the "it might not live" talk is regular practice here with any fish that come from iffy circumstances. He actually gave me the talk when I bought a pair of scarlet badis!

They gave my son some pellet food. I'm guessing no flakes? Would he appreciate blackworms? Or egg yolk? Are there healthy fresh foods he'd like?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had my betta in a non heated, non filtered 1/2 gallon bowl for about a month and he did fine with frequent water changes...not even any dechlor!!! He'll be fine for now

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here's Pluto in his temporary home - a deli container with a vented plastic wrap cover and some frogbit. Why is he named Pluto? My 5 year old names almost all our fish after planets or other space-related items.

Funny thing is he's changed color a bit since yesterday. When we brought him home his body was a sickly whitish color, and now he's starting to get pink and a little yellow on his body. Is that normal for bettas?
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/album.php?albumid=14386&pictureid=44050

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts