The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I never thought much about the size of my cherry shrimp, George, until the people at my LFS were shocked at the size of some of the cherry shrimp I brought in (I was moving at the time). I'd like a confirmation that he is, in fact, a cherry shrimp. He's a lot darker than cherry shrimp you normally see. I've had him for a little over a year. So... I present to you...George:

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

When I moved in August, I brought all 2 of my cherry shrimps to my LFS. As it turns out...there were THREE! George was the one that I thought had died. He was the largest though. I found him when I was emptying the tank, so I took him with me! He was a trooper throughout the 20 hour trip we took together :)

I've tried feeding him lots of things, but he hides in the driftwood most of the time. I only see him on rare occasion. He must be eating leftover food, detritus, algae, microorganisms, etc. I do care for him and I've offered appropriate foods--he just doesn't eat them! Right now, he's the only cherry in the tank. For tankmates, there are 2 chocolate gouramis, 7 pygmy cories, and 1 Bolivian Ram male (his mate was very old and recently died--RIP "Mama fish").

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
That is an amazing story. Sounds like you and George are meant to be pals. The largest cherry shrimp I have had was about half his size, so I am impressed. He must be baking pizza in that driftwood.

Sorry to here about Mama fish.

Are you planning on buying more shrimp?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have about 20 or so cherry shrimp in another tank. I guess it would make sense for them to all be together, but whenever I actually consider it, George is nowhere to be found!

My other cherries are thriving as well. I started out with 10 about two months ago, and they've doubled in number (maybe more, but I wasn't counting)! There would be more survivors if it weren't for the darios :icon_roll The shrimp haven't stopped growing since I got them, so we'll see if they get as big as George! I know people say that cherry shrimp mature in 2 months, but George just kept growing...It took him almost a year to reach his current size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Amazonfish, George is a spectacular being indeed. Looking at your pic and measuring my own fingers, if our hands are the same size G would be about 2 inches long. Does that sound right?

I just got my first shrimp all of 2 days ago so am in no position to claim expertise, but that does sound kinda large from what I read. (my recent aquisitions are about the size of one of George's bigger legs. :) ) And you say that the shrimp you took to the LFS were also of remarkable size....hmm.

Did you keep any other species of shrimp in the tank he lived in, and if so what sort? Were they also red? Is it possible for there to have been a crossbreeding? Sometimes hybrids are larger than either of the parent stock (I am thinking mules here.) Maybe you are the creator of a new strain, the Crystal Black-Cherry Shrimp. Who knows. You could get written up in scientific journals as a genius, oh and also become obscenely rich.

Provide George with much female companionship. Play Barry White records near the tank. His kind should not be lost to the world when he goes to Shrimp Heaven. :)

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Bring the shrimp to George. Can you find them more easily? You get them breeding, sell them on the swap and shop as super sour cherry red shrimp or something along those lines.

Wait, this is a girl? How can you guys tell this? I am curious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are a few clues I use in sexing Neocaridina heteropoda (including var. red):
- the plecopods (under the tail) are deeper
- presence of saddle (ie. ovaries)
- only females get a light colored stripe on the back (and not all females)
- females get larger
- females frequently have more color

1st and 3rd points are visible in second photo

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW! She's a Georgia! She definitely has that light stripe on her back. It's quite obvious, though not so obvious in the picture. I could put the other shrimp in with Georgia, but the other fish would surely eat the babies. I'll concentrate on catching Georgia :) It would be amazing if I could breed her :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmm. :icon_neut Well...even if she is, she's still super special :biggrin:

I caught her!! She's now in the same tank as the other cherries. We might eventually find out if is she's really a cherry then! I hope to see some babies from her :)

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
It could be a rainbow shrimp. I forgot the exact name of them, but I had one that I bought as a blue mole shrimp. He turned brown, then red, then bright orange. For a while I thought it was a cherry shrimp until he changed to orange.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
It looks to be a Neocaridina but if it is a cherry shrimp is debatable.

It does look like one, and does look large though! I don't see why there couldn't have been a mutation or something that made them grow larger since there are genes that control that, and if they were messed up or something... either way its awesome.

Also, could you have actually gotten some of the dyed amano shrimp? I would say it looks to be about the size of an amano but not nothing else is right looking...

There are a few clues I use in sexing Neocaridina heteropoda (including var. red):
- the plecopods (under the tail) are deeper
- presence of saddle (ie. ovaries)
- only females get a light colored stripe on the back (and not all females)
- females get larger
- females frequently have more color

1st and 3rd points are visible in second photo
Your third point is actually kinda incorrect. Males also can have a white line down their backs. It is not as thick as most female's but it can happen.

-Andrew

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also, could you have actually gotten some of the dyed amano shrimp? I would say it looks to be about the size of an amano but not nothing else is right looking...

Your third point is actually kinda incorrect. Males also can have a white line down their backs. It is not as thick as most female's but it can happen.

-Andrew
I apologize for the misinformation. It was something I had read and I haven't had males with the stripe. I'll watch for it though.

How long will the dye job last? Is it just the shell that takes the dye or is it actually into the muscle? After a year shouldn't the color have faded out?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.