The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some Christmas Moss 3 days ago and to my surprise I found two little hitchhikers in it. They are Thai Micro Crabs, they're about the size of a dime and fully aquatic. I have seen them only a couple times out and about but seem to hide most of the time. They're still pretty cute :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At first I thought there was a spider crawling in my tank lol, the more I read about them the more interested I am in them. Seem pretty new to the hobby.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Super cool! I've heard that they can breed in fresh water, yet I've never seen any first hand account of it. Do you know anything about that?
Great pics, thanks for posting!

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Thai micro crabs are not too new. They're definitely interesting critters.

They are harvested from a river in Thailand where they live in its fast moving fresh water.

Something about that environment is perfect for their breeding, and we in the hobby have yet to get them to breed. There have been attempts to cultivate the larvae, but they never have made it past 9 days alive.

That's upsetting to me, as these are incredible freshwater creatures, and I tend to only buy critters I can breed in fresh water. If these guys could breed, I doubt I would be as into shrimp as I now am.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Perhaps if you could get a fast current in your tank it may stimulate them to breed?
Oh I'm not actually sure if the water flow has anything to do with it. Many of the people, mainly Germans, trying to breed them agree that sunlight has something to do with it. The larvae go up towards the light. Something like that. I wish I knew more.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may want to read this thread about them and their habitat.
This is the thread that made me so fascinated by them. I loved how scientific his approach was to try and breed them. I can't believe this little creature have proven so difficult to breed!

I can't wait until they're a bit less shy. Right now I just see them occasionally.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
You may want to read this thread about them and their habitat.
Thanks for turning me onto this one. I hadn't seen or searched for it. But I feel gleaned a little from the German reports I read so I was glad to be able to contribute my own theory.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found what I thought was a dead crab today, upon closer inspection it looks like it's just an empty shell so I think it just molted =)

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Yay successful molt!

Does calcium clay help microcrabs? It helps shrimp.

And congrats on your bonus! You saved $7!
It'll help any invert with a shell, so yep!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Wonder if the lighting used for corals would add some of the sunlight affect to help with breeding...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts