The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on PT!

I've been on and off the hobby (esp with freshwater) for quite some time and sad to say haven't been around on this forum much as of recent, but it definitely feels great to be back! but damn has times changed since I had a shrimp tank back in 2007+! Definitely for the better.

Well I got the bug again after coming across a magazine "Breeders'n'keepers" (pick that up if you haven't!) and am getting ready to set up a pico 4.7g tank. I plan on trying my hands on some red tiger shrimps this time around. I left off the shrimp game with Orange eyed blue tigers back a few years ago and was able to successfully have a colony of 80 or so from purchasing about 12 from a former member on here.

I have everything I pretty much need right now minus the tank itself, which should be on its way here by the weekend or early next week and plan on keeping a journal for it this time around.

My setup:
•4.7g rimless tank
•Custom HMF filter by printedreefingsolutions (Matthew is an awesome guy!)
•ADA Amazonia substrate
•Hydor mini heater
•Yama Stones
•Ryuoh Stones

I plan on keeping this low tech this time around and focus more on the shrimps than a planted tank. However I will just stock it with some moss and marimo balls.

Once I get this tank in, I will definitely update this thread. Feels great to be back to such a fantastic forum, and I'm glad I remembered my log in lol.:grin2:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Haha I was just about to say how did you remember your log in :D

If no one here has Red tigers, you can check on the Shrimp Spot forum.
Great amount of knowledge about shrimp keeping there.

Remember that Tigers don't really need the water quite as soft and acidic as some other Caridinas (Crystals, Taiwan Bees, Blue/Red bolts, etc).

Red tigers are cool, but they are rather plain and a wild type. If you have the means of doing the other soft acidic water caridinas, I personally would go with more interesting patterns. You could even do TiBees if you wanted to (Tiger crossbred with Taiwan Bee). Mischlings are cool. Though I do like having variety rather than just one uniform color/pattern.

It's been so long since you've been around the shrimp game, I am sure there are quite a few new shrimp you have never even seen. Take a look around.
But since you are just coming back, it might be wise to refreshen your shrimp keeping abilities. You could practice with Neocaridinas just to start with. But that's a little too easy. Dipping into Caridinas, tigers are a great choice as they tend to be hardier than most caridinas. You can't really go wrong with Tangerine tigers or red/wild tigers. Mischlings are a little more sensitive than tigers, but are still hardier than the other caridinas.

Anyways, welcome back. Get that tank cycling! That substrate might leach ammonia/ammonium for a bit.
Are you going to use 100% R/O water and remineralize?

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I was just about to say how did you remember your log in :D

If no one here has Red tigers, you can check on the Shrimp Spot forum.
Great amount of knowledge about shrimp keeping there.

Remember that Tigers don't really need the water quite as soft and acidic as some other Caridinas (Crystals, Taiwan Bees, Blue/Red bolts, etc).

Red tigers are cool, but they are rather plain and a wild type. If you have the means of doing the other soft acidic water caridinas, I personally would go with more interesting patterns. You could even do TiBees if you wanted to (Tiger crossbred with Taiwan Bee). Mischlings are cool. Though I do like having variety rather than just one uniform color/pattern.

It's been so long since you've been around the shrimp game, I am sure there are quite a few new shrimp you have never even seen. Take a look around.
But since you are just coming back, it might be wise to refreshen your shrimp keeping abilities. You could practice with Neocaridinas just to start with. But that's a little too easy. Dipping into Caridinas, tigers are a great choice as they tend to be hardier than most caridinas. You can't really go wrong with Tangerine tigers or red/wild tigers. Mischlings are a little more sensitive than tigers, but are still hardier than the other caridinas.

Anyways, welcome back. Get that tank cycling! That substrate might leach ammonia/ammonium for a bit.
Are you going to use 100% R/O water and remineralize?

Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
Thanks for the greetings & reply WaterLife! I have been searching around non stop ever since I got back into it (addictive personality) so I've seen all of the variety thats been out there which is one of the biggest changes I've seen since being out of the game. I just love the idea of having pure bred shrimps..I've had OEBT in the past, as well as CRS and CBS and obviously these hybrids and mischlings weren't around then. However, theres something about red tigers that I am attracted to. It can be the fact like I've mentioned, of keeping something pure bred in its wild form; as well as I've read some place that they are actually decreasing in population do to pollution in its habitat. Also it can be the fact that it seems like these guys don't get much attention like I feel they should, and maybe because like you said its on the plain side compared to what is out there right now, but I like going the route most aren't going (can't help it :grin2:). I just know this will definitely not be my only tank and will end up getting more in the future, so I will get into the more exotic new species that are available now. However, I have been wondering how to get some red tigers with orange eyes...so maybe that can be a later experiment. But who knows, my mind might change once the tank is established and cycle. When I was doing it there were only a few pieces of candy to choose from, now I'm like a kid in a candy store lol.

I'm going to be using tap to start the cycle, then once its about done, I will swap it out with RO water with remineralizer and continue that from there on out.

I know I have all the things I need taunting me and missing the most important thing, which is the tank itself! the seller I purchased the tank from had a bit of a delay on his end but said he will ship it out tomorrow. So sooner than later!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I am pretty sure I have seen people who had OEBT throw out blondes with red stripes and orange eyes! Seen a pic too, but I am sure that would take forever to find.
You could probably post a thread over on Shrimp Spot and I know someone would provide that pic for you.

As far as I know, that strain (red tiger w/ orange eyes, RTOE or OERT??? :)) isn't established. I don't know if it's possible to stabilize that, but ask the experts on SS and if it's possible, you could strive for making that strain a reality (you would be famous in shrimp breeding history :D) Collecting enough of those odd ball throw outs (RTOE) and you might eventually come up with a generation that breeds relatively true and you'd be the only one with that strain, making them pricey shrimp.

:thumbsup: Do the red tigers! They definitely don't get the attention they deserve.
If you ever decide to crossbreed the red tigers, they can throw out some nice looking shrimp (you can remove those adult tigers after breeding if you still want to keep them for the pure red tiger strain/tank).

I'll make sure to follow along!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure I have seen people who had OEBT throw out blondes with red stripes and orange eyes! Seen a pic too, but I am sure that would take forever to find.
You could probably post a thread over on Shrimp Spot and I know someone would provide that pic for you.

As far as I know, that strain (red tiger w/ orange eyes, RTOE or OERT??? :)) isn't established. I don't know if it's possible to stabilize that, but ask the experts on SS and if it's possible, you could strive for making that strain a reality (you would be famous in shrimp breeding history :D) Collecting enough of those odd ball throw outs (RTOE) and you might eventually come up with a generation that breeds relatively true and you'd be the only one with that strain, making them pricey shrimp.

:thumbsup: Do the red tigers! They definitely don't get the attention they deserve.
If you ever decide to crossbreed the red tigers, they can throw out some nice looking shrimp (you can remove those adult tigers after breeding if you still want to keep them for the pure red tiger strain/tank).

I'll make sure to follow along!

Hey WaterLife!
I have seen and have owned OEBT with red stripes and some blondes, but I wanted to know if there were true OERT. There barely much talk about RT, let alone see anyone talk about OERT, but thats probably because like you said there hasn't been any that bred true. I think I will stick with the RT (at least thats how I feel now lol) but It would be sweet to breed a good looking RT and try to bring these guys to light!

Thanks again WaterLife!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's going on guys,

So I finally received my tank and was able to have some time to set it up today.

List:

•4.6g Rimless tank
-Stock 3w LED
•Tetra Whisper 10 Air Pump
•Custom HMF corner filter
•ADA Amazonia substrate
•Hydor Mini Heater
•Ryuoh Stone
•Yamaya Stone
•Cholla Wood
•Flame Moss
•Small & Nano Moss Balls
•Indian Almond Leaf
•Guava Leaf
•Alder Cones
•Ebi King Mineral Balls

The tank is still clearing up, and the leaves and alder cones are still floating around. Now on to the long wait until I can add some shrimp. I plan on adding Red Tigers in this tank (anyone know a good breeder?).

On to some pictures - Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Love the way your tank is looking, especially the big slope and cholla wood "log". Your shrimps will be so content!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
@phanizzle
Hi again! I remember talking with you about red tigers.
Just saw this thread of tangerine tigers with red stripes and thought it might interest you.
Tangerine Tiger with Red Markings? - Genetics and Selective Breeding - The Shrimp Spot

Just a heads up, if you didn't know, Ryuoh stones are similar to Seiryu stones and they are not inert (raise pH), though not that big of a deal for Tigers.
Yamaya stones are inert.
But ADA Amazonia is an active substrate, buffering water into the acidic range (can get more acidic than Tigers prefer).

I would check water parameters and see where things are at.
How's the the cycling going?
There are bottled nitrifying bacteria products such as Tetra SafeStart and Tim's One and Only that can jump start/speed up your cycle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I keep red tigers and you can get some interesting colors from them, some clear with just red markings, some clear with red next to white markings, some with a light blue tint with red markings. These variations are all from pure red tigers, no crossing.

I am also working on my own pinto, started with RT and PRL. Got some hybrids I now have separated and planning on crossing them with RKK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts