The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, my grandmother is not THAT cool. I built her a tank and I also maintain it for her, gives her something to look at living alone. I bet you thought my grandmother planted a tank right? haha anyway...I will continue to update this thread as we progress.

I had a spare 5 gallon tank I was able to give her, but I had stripped the LED lights from the hood for another project. I am in the process of building a custom lighting hood but for the time being I have this fluorescent gooseneck reading lamp over it. The HOB filter that this 5 gallon came with was quite weak so I had replaced it a while back with a Marineland Penguin 75 (bio-wheel) so the tank is being over filtered. I added a Purigen packet to the HOB rated for 100 gallons so the water will remain nice and clear! I also keep the thermometer in the HOB just under the lid for a cleaner appearance.

The rock cave was pulled from another established tank with plants already attached to it, the cave hides the intake tube and heater. The driftwood was also pulled from an established tank, it was made from a blueberry bush branch. My air stone is a glass diffuser with a glass U tube for the top lip..but I need to extend the hose between the U tube and diffuser. Most the plants also came from a friend for free with the substrate, along the back left I have some sort of a sword in the left corner with an unidentified thick stem plant that grow tea shape leaves to its right. Moving forward is a large patch of I think Bacopa/Moneywort, and I had a bunch of spare dwarf hairgrass I put in front of that. On the right side is some sort of an Elodea-like plant that I am not sure is going to make it since it is so fragile, I have two types of Java Fern I need to find a way to plant in the back right corner however I need something to tie them to since they can not be planted in the substrate? I do not want to find a rock because it will not match the fake rock cave so I am currently looking for another piece of driftwood. I also tossed in a few floaters from my tank, Amazon Frogbit and some sort of non-rooting Parrots Feather.

As for stocking this tank I have drilled the no-fish factor into her head but she still thinks I am crazy for it. I will use a pair or possibly 3 Amano shrimp since they are social, then a bunch of red cherry shrimp which will eat algae but not as well s the Amanos. I will also add 3-4 Nerite snails, keeping them well fed with homemade snail jello. Would be nice if I could find the red and white bee shrimp or red painted shrimp.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made gelatin food so hopefully it will not pollute the water.

Thank you, I would have much rather gone rimless but this is what she wants :)

As I am planting she says "I hate to say it but that looks like it has been there a really long time" so I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Better yet, you can make jerky out of those gel foods. Just dehydrate them in the oven and they should last longer in the water. Some fish may not like the harder texture, but worth a try.

You can mount the ceramic diffuser lower in the tank to allow the bubble a tiny bit more contact time with the water. You could place it under a better circulated area as well. Probably won't make much of a difference though.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting jerky idea, I will experiment with it.

Yes I did mention I plan on moving the diffuser lower, I need to cut a longer tube for it. I put it on the left because for one I do not want air being sucked into my filter inlet, and two it provides a small amount of circulation to the opposite side of the tank that the filter is on.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I really like the rock cave. Did you make it yourself out of individual rocks? Are they glued together?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the rock cave. Did you make it yourself out of individual rocks? Are they glued together?
I was fortunate enough to purchase this on eBay for around $30, it is casted plastic of some sort. Looks very realistic which is the only reason I bought it since I am not a fan of decor.

Why not put a Betta in there for her?
Attachment issues when it dies, everything has to look the same so it is no big deal if one dies.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto the Endlers: Smaller, and if you get males only there will be no problem about removing the fry. They are shrimp-safe, too.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To run that glass diffuser I ordered this aPump ("worlds smallest and quietest") the only one I could find with a US plug was a dual output since they are made in Ukraine. So I grabbed a gang valve and figured I would use it backwards with 2-in and 1-out...but this pump is weak! Too weak to even produce a single bubble from the diffuser so I am going to send it back.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I think you are going to have hard time finding an air pump that isn't obnoxiously loud and expensive that will produce enough pressure to drive a glass diffuser. A regular or limewood air stone would probably be better if you are trying to get aeration going.

*Edit - are you trying to aerate, or introduce CO2?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts