The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I am back after a long hiatus on this board. You can see in my signature my two previous tanks, both were small nano tanks. This is my first go at a medium sized tank :D

I am living in Berlin, Germany. I've been here a little while now and a friend of mine gave me her 35 gallon tank and some accessories for free today! I finished up scrubbing it down the best I could with what was at hand. It is glass and she didn't really keep it super clean so there is some grime that I do not have the patience for. But I think it is good enough as it is, it was all free after all.

Anyway, I want to do a heavily planted setup with nothing too fancy, no co2, no high tech lighting, etc etc...

I am thinking about doing a soil substrate and then covering it mostly with sand and leafs. I am thinking about doing some fresh water angels in this tank... not sure yet if that is a good idea, it seems like 30 gallons is the minimum for angels. Well I exceed that by a little bit, but I am curious if you guys think I could have a group of angels in this tank. It is not very tall, but still 35 gallons.

So yeah, I think mostly a planted tank with a school of one species of fish (maybe angels?) and then some sakura shrimps and that is it. Big point being simplicity. Maybe angels are too temperamental? Any advice appreciated!

Also I need to do some research about lighting... I have a hood for this tank that I can use these fluro lights with, but I am not sure I want to use that bulky setup.

I might just go for a diy LED setup, maybe with a strip with blue/red led's for night time lighting... my old 5g nano had a built in blue lighting and I really liked that for night time. I just don't know if you should select specific plant growing spectrum lighting for daytime setup or if you can just take off the shelf stuff at say like the hardware store. I mean I want to probably take easy low-medium light plants anyway so maybe it is pretty simple.

I stop ranting now, here are some pictures of what I have:

ps. the white dresser thing is what I plan to use as my tank stand, it seems sturdy enough ;) - oh and the tank has a sort of built in corner for filtration... but the wall is filter media, so it is porous and this pump she gave me is a bit strange.. the output I would just stick through the media wall... doesnt seem very strong, but maybe it is good enough... but I do not have filtration media really, just that foam wall... no carbon or whatever, though perhaps I could pile on some into this corner, I dunno - I need to do some research on that.

Thanks for stopping by and hopefully by the end of next week I can get it planted and filled :D - gotta get the cycle going.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The filter is called a hamburg matten filter, it's a mostly european thing though they are slowly catching on here as well.. A quick google search can clue you in on the details, but basically they offer high bio filtration (like any other sponge filter), and pretty good mech filtration (in my experience) , and they have extremely long maintenance intervals on the order of clean it once a year or longer.

They're great for hiding equipment behind, are shrimp/fry proof, and they do well with high or low outputs from a pump (5-15x turn over in volume is usually fine)

Also i wouldn't recommend putting angels and shrimp together, the angels will eat the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ thanks for your reply! yeah, I googled it and yeah I guess it is a pretty good setup huh, anyway thanks for the info/advice

So I finally got the tank planted and filled today :D I am really happy with the piece of driftwood I found in the little local aquarium store down the street... they also have a nice selection of plants and I ended up buying a lot... I still am thinking about some foreground short plants, or maybe some sort of stones/gravel to break up the uniformity of the sand that covers the soil... but I dunno, I might just get some leafs and litter them on the sand.

So the light setup works for now, but I would prefer an led solution, this bulky fluro setup isn't so great, but for now it works. I wonder what a good idea for me will be, all the plants I have chosen are low to medium light, I need an LED setup with blue/red night light setting :p

Also, I will get a test kit here soon and take some readings, but lucky for me the built in filter is pretty well broken in so maybe I have low enough readings within a couple weeks.

You guys have to help me figure out what to stock this tank with... I cannot decide :p

Anyway, here are the pictures, I stop rambling now! (sorry but it is still a bit murky, but you can see the general scape).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new pix! I did some really minor adjustments with the sand and then added 2 new plants, I took pix of them, the first 2, one is planted into the sand next to the small piece of wood with the anubias, not sure what it is called :eek: then the other new one is next to the ludwiga and is tall and green, also don't know what it is called :x

Anyway, the tank got murky a little from my meddling... I think the soil I used isnt so great, it is quite dusty and seems a bit like powdery clay :( not sure if that is bad, but yeah maybe not so great... I hope my api test kit comes in soon so I can see what the levels are at and when I can get some fish in the tank :D

:)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks!

I might have to make a custom stand though... I am having more doubts about my dresser being able to hold like ~330 lbs

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the comments guys :D

as for stocking I am not quite sure yet... advice welcome ;)

~8 danios (zebras?)

1 or 2 pearl gourami

1 oto & some other sucker?

assassin snails (damn pond snails need hunted)

amanos?

a group of 6 tetras or cpd?

^ is that over stocked if I would go for another group of fish like tetras or cpds?

^another question is shrimp, could amano's survive with such tank mates?

another idea is tiger barbs instead of danios, but I guess they would bully a gourami or 2 from what I hear :(

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got a package of indian almond leafs in today... still waiting on the test kit and flourish :p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so I added a new plant, I am not sure what it is called... haha actually I don't know what most my plants are called except I have 3 varities of anubias and 2 ferns (maybe they are the same?) some java moss a type of ludwiga and some other plant that grows like ludwiga :eek: embarrassing on this forum, I know...

I hope the new plant, that I took a photo of under this text holds up, so far after a week no plants have melted much at all and overall seem happy.

I can't wait for my master test kit to come in the mail then I get some readings, I hope the already well worn in filter gives me some good water readings :D

I am leaning towards a group of danios (leopard or zebra) maybe a tetra group (not sure what type) then some bottom dwellers, I'd like a group of cory cats but I am afraid they will dig too much into the sand and cause the dusty soil to be mixed in the water... maybe just a couple otos.

Then the question is gourami's - I want a pearl gourami, do you think I could put a pearl gourami in the tank? Is it best to put a pair in or is a single ok? Do you think a pearl gourami would eat large amano shrimps?

photos:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, so I have been noticing some browning on the plants, well and even on the filter outlet, it is a sort of algae? Anyway, the perfect picture is of the edge of the java fern, you can also see it on the anubia on the edges of the leafs.

Any ideas as to what that is? Prevention? I think maybe I could have too much light?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so I did a 50% water change today and a little cleaning... and also ordered some goodies:

^ The beamworks led light... the one sized for my 1 meter long tank :D

then I also got a circulation pump:

I am thinking about getting a bamboo shrimp or two so I wanted to grab that also I think some more flow would be better

I am also trying to source some floaters locally, this one I think I can find: Limnobium-laevigatum they call it froschbiss here.

Anyway, hopefully my test kit comes by monday and I can get some numbers :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Thanks!

I think it should be fine, at least I hope so! I am a little worried the color might not be warm looking enough, I dunno we will see... I am not trying to grow a carpet of anything needy, no co2 etc etc etc so I think it should be ok. Just a cheaper led light and some flourish ;)

I did a lot of research on pearl gouramis but I guess my tank is just too small for them, I prefer to keep fish as natural as possible and it sounds like they need a minimum of 2 females and a male - I think my tank is too small (1m long).

So I am leaning towards now:

7-9 bleeding heart tetras

8-10 leopard or zebra danios

3 otos

a few amano shrimps (I assume they have no danger from danios/tetras :eek: )

and try out a bamboo shrimp eventually and if it goes well maybe go for 2 of them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The Brown dusting you are seeing are diatom algae. They usually come in the beginning of a tank and IIRC they feed on silicates in the water. I know Otto cats and most snails will take care of it, as well as circulation will help it from settling on as many places. But it is a very common thing in the beginning! Pretty easy to get rid of as algae go.

I really like your layout too! I can't wait to see it fill in.

Your fish list seem like a very nice group of fish as well! I really like Pearl Gouramis, but every time I have a tank for them to go in the local supply is either to small or to big/to old, so I never get to put any in my tanks! SUX!!! I haven't had any since I was in high school. But I think you are correct in your thinking, in the long run your tank would get a bit cramped with a proper group of Pearls! Unless you just had them and some bottom dwellers and a basic clean up crew, but that might make for a slow moving tank! With the Bleeding Hearts you will get some pretty good size as well as color, and the danios will give you plenty of movement, the ottos and amanos will do a good job on cleanup, though you might need a few more of each in the beginning.

As for the Bamboo shrimp I really, really like them, but even though one of the worst fish stores in a 100 mile area of me can keep them alive for months on end, maybe even years, I can never seen to keep them alive for more than a week!!! I have NO CLUE AS TO WHY EITHER??? I have tried them in my 55g planted, a 20g that was fully cycled but had no fish in it for over 3 weeks prior to the bamboo shrimp, and was 100% R/O D/I water where I added the minerals to be perfect for them, and had a Poly Pad running in the filter to make sure there were no heavy metals, meds, or anything else in the water and it showed there was nothing but normal organics. That was the time they lasted a week to maybe 10 days!

Heck I have had better luck with Ghost shrimp!!! LOL So Good luck with the Bamboos if you try them!

I want to hear a report on the LED fixture in about 6 months to see how you are still liking it, as I have a 40B I am thinking of going LED. So I am subscribed to your thread as well as a few others who are using LEDs and are about the same width as my 40B to see how they are liking their lights! So I would be Grateful for any info you could give me now and in the future!

Well Keep up the great work, and good luck with it!
Take Care,
Drew

1 - 20 of 136 Posts