The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok kids. Here it is. I thought about buying all of these and selling them myself but I don't have a spare $1600 sitting around.

Clicky thing.

Swagelok B-SS2A metering valves. Retail around $60 each. At least half price if you only buy one. Buy more than one and they get even cheaper.

This is an extremely fine metering valve. Beats the Clippard needle valves I sell hands down. Much finer control. Less twitchy.

The joker in the deck is that these valves are made for tubing with an OUTSIDE diameter of 1/8". The normal tubing we use has an outside diameter of 1/4". And because of the way they are built they can only be run in-line.

But not to worry. I can get high quality Clippard tubing of the correct size and hose barbs that will fit check valves and all the other parts I have.

So if you are looking for a much finer control than a needle valve can offer you jump on this deal.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
So we order from these guys and then switch the hose from the needle valve to this 1/8 hose at a checkvalve to one of these Swagelok in line valves? Then, perhaps at a second check valve can we switch back to the 1/4 O.D. line so one doesn't have to rework the fitting on the reactor?

Or what is the best configuration you are considering with a Rex Regulator?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just two barbs and a bit of the smaller hose to make the switch.

One barb on the regulator/manifold/LPR and the other barb on the front side of the check valve. Put the metering valve in the middle and you are good to go.

A pretty easy and quick switch. Take about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanks Rex! Just ordered two myself... I'll pm you about connector barbs/hose.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I use Swagelok needle valves, they work great at the gas pressures we use.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would consider buying one or two but the shipping cost to Toronto .CA is $20 and is shipped by UPS which always has these hidden charges like "importation Tax" that drives the cost too high.
If any of you has an extra one of these needle valve and is willing to ship it to me via USPS,I would appreciate your help.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Yeah, we have 6 T-cylinders O2 (HUGE) manifolded together on a site, and we use all swagelok parts. Cream of the crop in my opinion, and they hold much more working pressure than their respective competition.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the barbs and tubing to adapt these valves. I just wish my valves would show up so I can verify that the tubing will work before I ship anything.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My valves arrived today. Hooked one up. Works like a champ. Barbs and tubing work just fine.

So if you have ordered one email me and I can get you the needed parts. Take a close look at your system and get an idea of exactly what you want. Or take a picture and email it to me.

If you have not ordered one of these valves yet then you really should. They have a very large working range.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Ideally you want just the 15-20 psi pressure in all metal tubing, then the needle valve to the CO2/silicone etc tubing from there.

If you use disc, use the thicker Clippard tubing of Tygon clear tubing.

So adapting the 1/8" to 1/8" NTP female solenoids is all you'd need to do or to a Tee on a 1/8" NTP tubing size.

If you need to go from 1/8" to 1/4" barbed, they sell those at Home Depot, OSH etc, just a male to male barbed 1/8" to 1/4".

These are a very good deal BTW.
I've used these and the Parker as well as the older Nupro.

There's another type that's very good and 1/8" NTP threaded male end to 1/4" barbed, these provide a far better seal than the little Clippards which can be knocked loose etc if you are not careful, those tiny 10-32# thread sizes are too small to get a good higher pressure seal IMO.

Not sure of the brand, but I was given and bag of them, years ago: here a similar model:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=780

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just an update. The cost to fit these valves into your current system is running about $4-$5 worth of parts. For some people it's about $2.50.

And there are still valves available.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.