The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a pair of german blue rams in a 40 gallon for almost a year now. They spawn about every two weeks, although they suck as parents and the eggs/occasional fry get eaten by other fish or the GBR themselves. About a month ago my male has turned really aggressive towards my female during the periods when they are not spawning. She is getting pretty much constantly chased around the tank whenever the lights are on. She has lost a lot of color and is definitely stressed from this behavior. His agression is pretty much limited to his mate, and other than spawning periods shows no agression towards the rest of the tank inhabitants. They are continuing to spawn together though. There have been no changes in the tank either in inhabitants or scape during this period. Water quality looks good. Any idea what is going on here? Is my only choice to stop this behavior is to separate them?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find the whole situation fascinating as it is almost as if the male is saying "that's it woman, I have put up with you for 10 months now and I can't take any more of your sheet" but then she says "OK, but do you still want to have sex?", and he says "Hell Yes, Woman". Maybe I am just putting too much of my own personal relationship issues into this though ;).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Actually,

Something similar seems to have happened to one of my GBR pairs. Recently, I introduced some females into a tank that originally had only male rams. As a result, all the fish paired off without incident, and I even had a spawn last week that ended in parents eating the fry. This week, another pair spawned, actually today, but after spawning the male chased the female off and is showing aggression toward hers. Not really sure why. Some advice on the situation would be much appreciated

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.