The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've just finished adding a few more things and putting my driftwood back in. Sorry the pics aren't the best, It's still really foggy from moving everything around.

Comments and ideas welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool tank! This looks like a scene from the 1985 movie Cocoon. Great movie. Your fish should be young forever now.

Thanks, that Cocoon comment was too funny, actually made me LOL! How did I miss that, it totally has that beam me up light happening in that photo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ordered some new stuff over the weekend hope to do more planting later in the week.

Shopping list included:
Sagittaria subulata and Glossostigma elatinoides, I'm going to experiment with the two of these as ground cover.

Java moss and Willow moss for attaching to drift wood and possible experiment with moss wall.

Nymphaea daubenyana because I like the color (see pic) and I hear it's height trainable.

Other changes are the angels are moving out so my cherry shrimp can move in. The platys are moving out too, I just don't like them and I'll probably get rid of the guppys as well....Oscar food :icon_twis?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Cool! Great peices of driftwood! I would add some taller plants to the back to take advantage of your tanks hight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I can't wait for things to fill in more. I added the Glossostigma elatinoides tonight. I hope it takes as a ground cover, that'd look sweet. I may add some Ludwigia repens in the back to get more height.

Another idea I had was to add couple small shelves to the back wall with potted plants. I found some small shelves used for coral frags that suction cup on. I think it could look good as long as the shelf was hidden by other plants.

On another note... If you've never tried to catch a platy or a danios in a planted tank consider yourself lucky! The height doesn't help either. I must of caught 10 Neons by accident but still cant manage to catch the last platy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That tank is only 12 inches front to back?

Excellent job with the hardscape. You've created a lot of depth, there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try the shelf idea! It sounds cool. If you don't like it just take them down.
Thanks, also considering using this idea in conjunction with a moss wall.

That tank is only 12 inches front to back?

Excellent job with the hardscape. You've created a lot of depth, there.
Thanks a lot. This is my first attempt so it's really nice to have some positive feedback.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UGHHHHH! :angryfire I wanted to post up some new pics but I have a really ugly diatom bloom going on.

In other news: I'm starting to see lots of runners and new growth. Also put up the first section of what will become a moss wall. I could only do part of it because my order got screwed up. I ordered five 13.25"x22" sheets of plastic canvas but only received one. Hopefully the diatoms will clear up by the time the rest of it gets here. If so I'll post some pics when I get the rest of the wall up.

Current stock is now 30ish Neon Tetras, 6 Black Tetras, 3 Glowlight Tetras, 100ish RCS, 3 Vampire shrimp, 2 Dwarf Crayfish and that F%&^!&g Platy I can't catch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been sick so I haven't done anything lately.

Here's an updated pic from tonight.
The white down the middle is the first section of what hopefully will become a moss wall.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Off topic, but doesn't your plant guild reactor drive you nuts with the sponge getting dirty? I had one, and it worked great at dissolving CO2, but I had to clean the sponge several times a week.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts